1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Recent Studies on Heart Health

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by av1611jim, Apr 20, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Thank you very much mioque.
    Now that you have done as you offered to do, kindly explain how that Amendment is germaine to the discussion.

I do find it interesting that Rhode Island did not raify in light of the fact that it was the first of the colonies to be established by they who practiced true religious fredom. :D

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

For those of you who seem to be quite confused as to what I am telling you, allow me to clarify.

1.) I have shown that Scripturally speaking, Paul made it clear that ALL things were lawful for him but NOT all things edify. Therefore the conclusion is that ALL things are lawful but NOT all things edify.

2.) I have shown that even our own "experts" in heart health have recommended that one should NEVER drink alcohol.

3.) I have then said that if you wish to drink, then go right ahead, but it is not wise to do so.

4.) I have also shown that the supposed health benefits of alcoholic wine can be obtained by red grapes and its juice. Therefore the conclusion is that you can get the benefits of wine without the alcohol.

5.) I have shown the relation of alcohol use and its damage to your brain. Again proving that the use of it is unwise.

Finally, I have come to the conclusion that they who insist on its use are ....unwise. :D

If you choose to be unwise, go on and do so. That's between you and God. But now you have been warned in the spirit in which it was intended, as a service to my brethren in Christ.

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Good summary, Jim. Of course, I wasn't confused at all, and I agree with every one of your points. I do not believe anyone in the thread will change their personal stance, but you may have helped out a lurker.

God bless,
    Will

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Thanks willie;
    It is my sincere desire to help and not to hinder.
    I hope I didn't waste my time. Only God knows, and I suppose I will find out at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"I have always heard that even Baptists used wine in the observation of the Lord's Supper prior to prohibition"
    "
    Interestingly enough, the Volstead act (the legislation mentioned in section 2 of the amendment) allowed clergy to serve wine during churchservices, to buy it and to transport it.

6. yabba

yabba New Member

I think claiming you showed that is extremely arrogant...that's straight scripture and is beyond dispute. Your applying that to drinking in moderation is scriptually out of context but I expect nothing less from your arguements.
    The experts did not say that "one should NEVER drink alcohol", reread your own posting. They said they would never recommend someone to drink alcohol. Do you realize the liability a Dr. or organization would take on by recommending someone drink? Some irresponsible person would drink to excess then drive and get in a wreck and say "they told me to". That is basic business practice.
    There is nothing wise or unwise about drinking...and you have shown nothing to the opposite. There is deffinitely something wrong with drinking to excess or against your own conscience.
    No arguement here.
    You misused a quote by Gold Dragon saying that it proved your point about brain damage and then he came back and said it could possibly be percieved as an enhancement....I'm sorry but do you have a clue as to what you are saying?

And I have come to a conclusion that those who misquote, misuse, or generally cast any statement in an inappropriate light is dishonest...sorry no smiley from me.
    To put this in terms you will understand...
    If you choose to be dishonest, go on and do so. That's between you and God. But now you have been warned in the spirit in which it was intended, as a service to my brethren in Christ.

Misuse of scripture to prop up your individual agenda, or belief is wrong plain and simple.

[ April 22, 2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: yabba ]

7. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Yabba,

Have you been under a lot of stress lately? Why vent with accusations to some being ridiculous, arrogant, dishonest, misusing scripture, etc.? This evening, why not pick up a six-pack of your favorite brew, kick back in your recliner, watch a little ESPN, and try to chill out?

8. yabba

yabba New Member

Willie,
    I really prayed and debated about whether or not to post that. Too many people on here try to twist and use scripture to support a claim, belief, or agenda and it is simply not in scripture. That is wrong and scripturally dishonest. It does nothing to further the kingdom of God and will only tear it down. If I did not call it out I would have been condoning it.

If you don't drink, great. Is not drinking scriptual, nope. Is drinking a sin, doesn't say so in any language or translation I've read the scripture in.

But yes I will go home an grab a 6 pack of my favorite drink, Pepsi, kick back at my desk, and work on my Exegetical Hebrew paper for next week.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with what DonnA posted earlier...that drinking an alcoholic beverage is a poor Christian witness. To me, that outweighs any benefit one could receive for even very moderate alcoholic beverage use.

How important is appearance? When a certain brand of root beer came out in brown bottles which were shaped like a Budweiser bottle, while I was a cop, I stopped more than one vehicle whose driver was drinking one of those root beers, which I perceived as being a regular bottle of beer. I like that brand of root beer also, but, from my own experiences, I choose to never drink it in public.

However, I won't hesitate to use Ny-Quil if I'm ill.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Me too, Robycop3 and Donna!