1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Recommendations

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by agedman, Oct 31, 2019.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been listen to growing complaints from former students concerning the reception they received when attending college. Most of them express grave concern in the atmospher they endured, and now seek advice about their own children’s higher education.

Those that went to Baptist universities, such as Baylor, complained that the vast majority of students and instructors were either believers living ungodly, or more likely unbelievers. They were dismayed by the lack of sincerity toward things of Scripture. And particularly the mocking and ridicule when one sincerely walked with God, and talked of important figures from the past they emulated.

Those that chose schools such as Maranatha, Liberty, Bob Jones expressed concerns over ostracizing because they were “public school” rather than private Christian or home schooled. They were dismayed that students and staff would be critical and questioning their fellowship with God, when those critical displayed ungodly attitudes and griping. One student even related a professor consistently ridiculing a couple public school educated students and would look far more critically upon their work while excusing the home schooled students’ lesser quality. When they finally confronted the professor, they were reported for having a “bad attitude” to the discipline group.

As a result, I have seen less and less parents choose other than state schools and universities.

I do so wish that I could recommend a Christian oriented university.

Any suggestions I can pass on?

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The school has improved on their facilities and course offerings in the time after my graduation (B.A., 2007), but I would recommend my alma mater, Williams Baptist University (in northeast Arkansas) based on my experience.

Family Q & A - Williams Baptist University The President of WBU has a video at this link about the importance of Christian education.

It is under control of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention (which is SBC-aligned) and has several hundred students (but under 1,000). It's regionally accredited (SACS).

It's on the outskirts of a small town of about 7,000 residents. A community college is about 10 miles away, but the closest state university is about 30 miles away. It definitely feels further away than that!

I'm not saying you can't get in trouble there because obviously anyone can find a way to get into trouble, regardless of location, but the generally rural setting, in a dry county does limit the opportunities. And the location also means you have less of a safety risk as with a more urban school.

As far as student population goes, I was a public school graduate, and so were the vast majority of my peers. A handful of homeschooled students attended when I was there, and a few private school graduates were also on campus.

In terms of faculty, the professors who teach there tended to be committed believers, from what I could tell. I know that my Greek/NT professor was probably one of the kindest and godliest men I've known. I could say the same about my OT/Hebrew professor. My American history professor had a seminary degree along with his history PhD and was involved in ministry, so when he left the school, he did so to pursue military chaplaincy.

I know the school can't take credit for everything on this point, but one of my classmates ended up becoming a professor at the SBC seminary in New Orleans: NOBTS - Dr. Rhyne Putman . I think he would say that the education he received helped prepare him for the higher-level academic work and also for his work in pastoral ministry.

Lastly, it is the smaller of the two ABSC schools in the state, and it's less expensive than its larger sibling, Ouachita Baptist University https://obu.edu. I don't know enough about OBU to recommend it one way or another, but it is definitely larger than WBU and has a public university in the same town (basically across the street).

I know I've probably given more info than needed, but if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty is a good school. It has a good diverse campus as well.