1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Recording ideas

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by SovereignMercy, Apr 15, 2013.

1. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone have experience recording sermons on an iPhone or Android phone? Thanks.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No but I'm sure it can be done. We use a dedicated recorder to record ours.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't recorded sermons but I have recorded audio notes, phone calls (using another phone on speaker), even my wife's snoring with my Android phone and an app called TapeATalk. Easy Voice Recorder is another highly rated Android app. I'm sure either one of these would work fine for recording sermons.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question: Why? Most churches are recording their sermons using audio equipment; you should be able to ask for a copy of the recording and convert it to iPhone or other media player format using something like Audacity. Using a cellphone isn't the best choice, because you will most likely be limited in the amount of storage capacity on your phone, and possibly not be able to record the entire thing.

So what exactly are you trying to accomplish, and why? Then we can more intelligently provide you with suggestions/recommendations on how to make the technology work for you.

5. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are a small church. We currently record with a cassette tape recorder. The files will be transferred to a computer. We just joined and I'm helping update the website and trying to make the messages more readily available. I have an old smart phone that makes great recordings. We may hook it up to the sound system.

The phone has plenty of storage. The file size will be 10-12 mb per sermon.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is the recorder we use. My husband was formerly a software engineer in the audio industry and this was his choice for our new campus. We are portable, meeting in a church, and we had to keep costs down. It's been fantastic and we're over 2 years into using it without problems. We wire it into our small sound system and he is able to transfer it to the computer easily. I can find out what software he uses if you want me to.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CM2L9KKmz7YCFUWo4AodgEEA5Q

Oh - and we actually purchased this from Sweetwater. They seem to be a good company.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At my church they do record the sermons and they are distributed as .wma files on CDs about two weeks later. Not the format I desire. I rip them to mp3, run them through the noise filter in Audacity, adjust recording level, tag them and transfer to phone or USB stick.

The Audacity program is really nice. If you want to have your eyes opened to the limitations of the mp3 format, import a music file in mp3, select Analyze, then select Plot Spectrum and observe the roll off of amplitude as frequency increases. Now try a FLAC file and compare.

8. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    We recorded our service tonight on my DROID X2 using the Hi-Q MP3 recorder app. Sounds great just set it on the pulpit.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly, I hadn't considered a phone for this purpose. Would love to hear the recording.

<Grin> You may have opened the door to put a lot of audio equipment people out of a job....

10. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hope to get some up on our website this week. I'll let you know when I do. The file that is on there now doesn't work. http://www.chattanoogapbc.org