1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Recovering jpg files

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by ccrobinson, Sep 23, 2006.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Back in July, my computer got infected with a virus. It was pretty nasty and I had to wipe my boot drive in order to get rid of it. I didn't lose any files, but I had several jpg files that were taken on our digital camera that I can't view anymore. I've searched and downloaded software that will supposedly recover my files, but the programs either crash, don't work, etc.

Has anybody here had to recover picture files? What software did you use?

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What do you mean by recover? Is it on the formatted drive and you want to try to retrieve it off the disc or can you see it on your puter but can't seem to open the file?

3. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

many times a file that has been deleted and the recycle bin emptied can be recovered.

A program called Recover 98 was able to recover many files of mine when I accidentally deleted them.

It says it is for Windows 98, but I have used it only in Xp and it worked great.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I can see 'em but can't open 'em. If I try to open a file with Paint Shop Pro, it reports "This is not a valid JPEG-JFIF file." What doesn't make sense to me is that only one directory of pictures was affected out of all the pics that we have and in that directory, there are about 30 to 40 pics out of 150 that were completely unaffected by the trouble I had in July. Because not every picture in a particular directory was affected, that's what leads me to believe that there is a possibility of recovery.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That is strange, while I have never used paint shop pro I would think it could handle all JPG files. Have you made sure you updated to the latest version?

Is it possible to upload one of the pictures so we can have a look?

6. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just a thought:

Recently I had a similar thing happen to me with some files. I wiped my hard drive clean because of a driver that corrupted my hard drive after downloading some MS updates and I did not know what the problem was. I was not aware the driver needed to be updated until I got to the point when I started to install the programs and problem occured when I installed the driver.

When I finished installing the programs I noticed that some files would not open when I double clicked on them like they usually had. I would get a box that said a similar thing to what happened to you.

What I finally did was to open the program and then click on file then open and look for the file to open. Once I did that the file opened and then all of the files that used that program on my computer could then be opened by double clicking on them as I had before.

Have you tried the windows viewer? It seems to be a general viewer.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

maybe they have an incorrect extension.

Download irfanview and see if it will "discover" them. It's a really good, free, universal viewer.

http://www.irfanview.com

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I can email one to anybody who wants to take a shot at recovering it. Let me know if you'd like to see this weird problem.

I tried PixRecovery and it reported "No data to recover detected."

Windows Viewer tells me "No preview available."

I tried to open a pic in Paint Shop using File, Open. No joy.

I'll try the irfanview program later today.