1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Recovery From Abusive Church

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by untangled, Jan 24, 2007.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here, Ulsterman. I have met many of the most gracious, good pastors and people in the churches that support us.

2. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Getting a little bit personal aren't you? From my experience I do not want anything to do with being involved in an IFB congregation. Not trying to condemn them, I could name a few good ones, but I do not like the mentality of many I have met in the south that will not even see me as a brother in Christ because I am not IFB.

I could be sarcastic and repeat your insults but that would not be right. :wavey:

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, I didn't mean to be insulting, I just meant to point out what I thought were your unfair characterizations. (And I still think you painted with a broad brush. Is that an insult?) Sorry if you were offended.

4. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey John,

It's okay. You can never tell someone's tone over the internet. It seemed as if you were being rude in the language you used. I am sorry myself.

I have personally had some horrible experiences with some IFB preachers and lay people. So, I shouldn't have sounded like I was judging every IFB. I just think it's without taste to label someone a heretic because they are not IFB (I am not saying you have ever done that) but I've run into it a few times as they used to visit all the time mainly from one particularly IFFWB church. Well, I guess I don't have to explain myself but I really meant no harm. Sorry if I offended you.

:tonofbricks:

6. Disgruntled UK Baptist

Which would be fine, of course, if it were not for the overwhelming evidence elsewhere in the Bible - including the NT and including 1 Corinthians - that women were indeed taking an audible part. Teaching, of course, is another matter. In this case, regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, the bottom line is that the men who are capable won't come, so God raises up a woman. This has happened an awful lot in UK Baptist churches. And there is a precedent (Deborah). In any case, rather a woman than an unregenerate man or a man with little to no Bible knowledge, yes?

How about taking this to the general discussions thread?

D.