1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Red Sox pitcher....

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Debby in Philly, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who else would it be?

Schillings Provide Displaced Family Housing for One Year
    Red Sox Pitcher, Wife Pledge to Help Nine-Person New Orleans Family
    BOSTON (Sept. 6) - Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling and wife Shonda paid to fly a New Orleans family of nine to Boston and pledged to provide them with housing for a year.
    The Fields family, with seven children between the ages of 5 and 12, fled New Orleans just before Hurricane Katrina struck. They spent the past week at an Atlanta hotel with the help of a charitable organization.
    "When we realized how many people had nowhere to go, we didn't just want to make a donation," Shonda Schilling told The Boston Globe. "We decided we wanted to bring an entire family here and put them up."
    The families connected through a Web site, openyourhome.com, which matches displaced families with people willing to house them. The Schillings registered Friday and on Saturday anonymously arranged for the family to fly to Boston.
    "He said, 'I would like to help you,"' Efrem Fields, 31, told The Globe in a phone interview from his hotel. "He didn't say who he was."
    Fields and his wife, Shelita, 28, and their kids met the Schillings at the hotel. Fields said his new friend looked familiar.
    "I said 'Wait a second, I know this guy,"' said Fields, a baseball fan. "Schilling ... Schilling, there's only one Schilling I know, and he's a baseball player. It blew my mind."

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Schilling is one of the great guys in baseball

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Far cry from the "appeal to sacrifice" by the NFL. They asked each player to give $5000 to the effort. The average salary in the NFL is 1.7 million.

About 1/4% of their salary. That would be like me giving $75

4. OCC

OCC Guest

I wish I could give $75. I was laid off for the longest time...go back to work tonight. [​IMG]

That is a great thing Schilling did.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise God for news of your going back to work!!