1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies a day after being shot

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by webdog, Nov 27, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:tear:

"His father called and said he was with Christ and he cried and thanked me," said Sharpstein, Taylor's former lawyer. "It's a tremendously sad and unnecessary event. He was a wonderful, humble, talented young man, and had a huge life in front of him. Obviously God had other plans."

I pray his father is correct in his assessment of Sean Taylor. If so, praise God!
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-obit-taylor&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Very sad story.

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

It seems to be a growing theme with defensive backs in the league. I was more surprised at the death of Sean Taylor than I would be if it were Pac Man Jones. But, if you live by sword, you die by the sword.

Chances are great that Taylor knew the shooter(s), neither his girlfriend nor his child were harmed, but they were both in the house and one was in the room at the time of the incident. Also, the police can not determine if it was a robbery or not or if the damage that was done at the point of entry was done the night of the shooting or eight nights prior to.

4. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

Let's pray especially for Joe Gibbs now. As Mark Schlereth put this morning on ESPN radio, Joe Gibbs is the best person to handle this type of situation with his team because when Mark played for the Redskins for 4 years, Joe Gibbs had his name on the board and said that he was praying for Mark everyday.

This is a perfect opportunity for Joe Gibbs right now. Let's lift him up.:praying:

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

That is a very good point, Joe Gibbs is a fine Christian man. I pray God blesses him with the wisdom needed during this time.

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is a very sad time down here. Sean is a local kid who played high school ball at Gulliver (a local prep school) before going on to play college ball at the U. His house is only a few miles away. Hopefully, the media circus will end soon & his family can start to heal.

Sean came from a Christian home and his father is the chief of police at a local municipality. According to the local reports, Sean had really turned around over the past 18 months - especially due to the birth of his daughter. Although I know he has had some issues in the past, I hope we can wait until the police know the truth before we rush to judgment.

I saw the same interview on ESPN. Yes, let's hope & pray that the Coach can be a great witness during this time.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

NFL Network interviewed a player (can't remember which one) who said Sean told him recently that he had rededicated his life to Christ. I hope this is true, but given his living situation with his girlffriend, I wonder if he paid the price for disobedience to God with his life, ala Moses.

8. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

While the local police are saying that it appears to be a random burglary and subsequent murder, Taylor's friends are saying otherwise. According to them, some of his prior associates were upset that he had turned his life around.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Kind of sheds light on "your sin will find you out", huh?

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Don't understand. Seems like he may have been murdered due to his recent commitment to Christ & the change in his life.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly...and he paid with his life for past lifestyle choices. I've paid the consequences much later on for past sin...still do to an extent.

#11 webdog, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  12. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Looks like it was a robbery that went from bad to worse. Here is the most recent article from the Herald.

BY MANNY GARCIA AND DAVID OVALLE

[email protected]

Miami-Dade detectives have detained two teenagers and a man in his 20s in Lee County for questioning in the death of Washington Redskins football star Sean Taylor.
    Investigators believe the young men learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about the football star's wealth.
    The suspects include 17- and 19-year-olds and a 26-year-old. All hail from the Fort Myers area.
    The former University of Miami star was not supposed to be home at the time of the break-in. While the Redskins played in Tampa, he had come home to get a second medical opinion on his injured knee.
    Florida Department of Law Enforcement agents and at least two Miami-Dade homicide squads have been in Fort Myers and they picked up the young men Friday morning.
    Taylor was shot early Monday by an intruder who surprised him in the bedroom of his Palmetto Bay home.
    Taylor wielded a machete as he tried to protect his fiancée, Jackie Garcia, and their 18-month-old baby girl. The two were hiding under the covers as Taylor was shot.
    One bullet pierced the wall. The other struck Taylor in the groin, severing his femoral artery and causing massive blood loss. He died at about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday at Jackson Memorial Hospital.