1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reductions: the secret abortions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I've often heard sermons about the tragedy of abortions, but there is a secret abortion that is becoming more and more common, especially with the number of higher order pregnancies today. It's called a reduction. This is a procedure that takes place when the mother is carrying more than two fetuses. She can opt for a reduction in the number of pregnancies, one, because it is a high risk pregnancy to both mother and children, and two, simply because she may not want more than two children at a time. I hope preachers will take a look at this secret killing taking place today.

love,

Sopranette

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've heard of this, it's usually women who've used fertility drugs and are now carrying 5,6, 7 or even 8 babies. Suposedly, (I have no idea), in order to deliver healthy babies who are not so premature they can't survive, they 'reduce'. I'm not sure how much of a secret it is though, it's been on tv for mnay years, lets see, I think I first saw it more then 10 years ago.

I was reading about it here
    http://www.multiplebirthsfamilies.com/articles/ber_q11.html

I couldn't find (still searching) a christian page addressing this, if you have some please post them.

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Unfortunately, I don't know of any Christian sites who are addressing this issue.

It doesn't just occure when the mother is carrying more than four fetuses. It can take place when the mother is carrying triplets as well. Studies have shown there is little difference in risk between a mother carrying two or three. in fact, the risk of miscarriage of the remaining two after a reduction significantly increases. Also, if a mother is carrying more than two, with one fetus showing abnormalities, she also has the option of terminating that one fetus, and keeping the other two.

I am aware that there is a huge life threating risk when a woman is carrying more than four. However, couples are aware of the chance of higher order pregnancies before they chose to go with medical help in order to conceive.

love,

Sopranette

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

All the sites I read said it is done for multiple births over 3. Do you have links for other information? I'd like to see them.

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I went for fertility treatments for a number of months - a total of 4 cycles - and that was one of the things we told our doctor we would NOT do. We also would not go for the treatments that involved anything other than DH having regular relations (IUI, AI, etc.). We both felt that our babies should be born of a natural act between the two of us or else God just really didn't want us to have any more kids. We were OK with that. So I ended up doing 3 cycles of fertility shots. The first cycle went really well and we ended up with 10 eggs that were released and the doctor said that's excellent - we should get pregnant. Well, I didn't. The next cycle, I had 20 eggs that matured and the doctor said to send DH away and to not do ANYTHING for the next week just to be sure that we didn't conceive on that cycle since that had a VERY high risk of a high order multiple. I then went on to have another cycle with 8 good eggs and conceived one baby but miscarried. We decided to put everything on hold for a bit. I went back a few months later and started on a new treatment - with no shots - and became pregnant the first cycle (with just one egg) but again miscarried that baby due to not knowing the full story with this brand new treatment (it was later found that you should continue the medication through the pregnancy and not stop taking it but I stopped taking it on the orders of the doctor).

So, I've struggled with infertility and have gone through the beginning of the further intervention that is available. I can understand why some women - even those who are pro-life - choose to selectively reduce because of the raw emotion and years long struggle to finally have a child of your own. After going through literally years of disappointment each time you find you are not pregnant, to find out you're finally pregnant is amazing! Then you find out that there are 8 babies in there and you KNOW that 8 babies cannot make it to term and you will lose each and every one of them - so you make the decision to reduce the number to 2 to give them the best chance possible. All of the babies would die for sure. Do you chose to take some of the lives to save the others??? This is a very difficult choice to make (and one that I would not have made myself) and while I am adamently pro-life, I do understand these women's decisions. I do not understand when it's twins, triplets or even quads because there's a good chance they will make it. I think up to 6 or 7 babies have made it too but it's a really rare case and the majority of times, these pregnancies will be lost.

7. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, Ann. WE also have personal experience with this situation. I don't know what we would have done if it had been more than three. That would certainly be a very painful and difficult situation to be in. Fortunately, that is very rare, and becoming more so as medical science in this area is improving. However, the number of triplet pregnancies are increasing, and reductions are still being offered for these cases.

love,

sopranette

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since there are women who deliver mulitples successfully, (saw a family on TLC who had like 8 or 10, and Good Morning America 8 or 10) I think I'd have to keep all of them, how do you choose to kill your child. And doing it just for convience is more horrorable.
    The only 'religeous' sites I can find addressing this is muslim and jewish.

9. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you forthe link, Donna. It was very good reading. That's one of the reasons I call reductions the "secret" abortions. This is not always a case of an unwanted pregnancy. It can be a difficult descision to end a pregnancy that was most often prayed for. And they are not talked about.
    But these reductions could mean the loss of a child that may have made it into the world, healthy. There are so many people not willing to have the faith to see it through.

love,

Sopranette

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have never heard of the reduction procedure but it is just as much murder as any other type.

That said I am sure there are mothers who would not otherwise have an abortion that would be able to justify this in their minds.
    All the more reasons that this should be addressed.

11. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's just sad.

Oh - and the highest order multiple birth that had all babies survive was 7 babies. There have been births with 8 where 7 lived but the one didn't make it.

I think you can kind of compare this idea of high oder multiple reduction (I'm not talking twins or even triplets) - if there is a huge chance all babies will die, do you just let them die or give a few a better chance to make it? I can think of transferring that to real life - you're in a boat that is sinking. You have 2 life jackets and 7 children. Do you let them all drown or do you do your best to save a few of them? You cannot physically save them all so you do what you can to save who you can.

It's a decision that I was grateful to not have to make but had we gotten to that situation, I don't think I could have chosen to terminate any of them. But I CAN understand the thinking behind it and I honestly leave it up to God to judge all of that.

13. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Actually, I would not have let the doctor put that many embryos in me to start out with. Either way, the fetuses are alive, and that is not a life I am allowed to take.

love,

sopranette

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

IF I did IVF, I would only allow up to 3 eggs to be implanted at a time but I can see people doing that, failing then implanting more the next time because it just costs so much money each cycle! In my case, I had 10 eggs mature but none of them were fertilized but if they had, I could have very easily had a high order multiple. It just really taught me that it is totally God who allows a baby to be conceived because with 10 eggs and everything else perfect, we still did not conceive. It was not the time. It was an amazing time for me.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

now that is just too much, that is for convience, not any childs healthy delivery, how can a mother justify that, thats sad.

16. TC2

TC2 Member

DH and I had to sign a waiver about this very thing.
    We're having AI, though we haven't gotten that far yet,
    and we've both decided that if I produce 3 eggs, we're good.
    4 or more, we wait another cycle for lower numbers.

Selective reduction is not something we want to deal with.

17. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Good luck, TC2! We also had three. I opted to not reduced, although I was pushed by my doctor and some family members to do so. We now have three healthy, happy boys. I thank God every day I didn't listen to that doctor.

love,

Sopranette

18. TC2

TC2 Member

Thank you so much, Sopranette!
    Glad to hear a/b your boys.

The whole selective reduction problem could be easily solved, IMO, by proper communication b/t spouses, and b/t spouses and dr's.
    Essentially, don't want them? Don't implant or imseminate them!