1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Referencing the original

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor_Bob, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently reading The Preacher and His Preaching by Alfred P. Gibbs. On page 174 he states:
    This author seems to be implying that the Bible reader is unable to correctly interpret the Scripture without consulting the "original." Granted, he is writing to preachers, but if the original languages were necessary to a proper understanding of a passage, it would be somewhat fruitless for the Christian to read the Bible alone.

Can you think of a passage which is necessary to consult the "originals" to gain the correct interpretation? Is the English alone inadequate to gain the proper understanding?

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

While I wouldn't consider it an absolute necessity to have an extensive knowlege of the original languages in order to interpret a verse, some knowledge of the original languages might be helpful in some instances.

For example, a knowledge of the various Greek verb tenses may at times be helpful in understanding the meaning of some verses in the NT.

Ex: I John 3:6a "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." (KJV)

At first glance that statement would seem to contract what John just got finished writing in I John 1:8. A knowledge of the Greek verb that's translated "sinneth" in 3:6a would let you know that it means a continuing action (i.e., "... does not continually practice sinning.")--hence no contraction between 1:8 and 3:6a.

This is just one example.

With the great variety of biblical language reference works that are available today either in print or electronic media, the "average preacher" [whatever that means!!] can quite easily acquire at least a very elementary knowledge of the original languages.

Again, I wouldn't say that this is an absolute must for a preacher, but oftentimes it will be a very useful means for a better understanding of some passages.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can be lead astray while reading the original languages just as easily as one can with a translation.

I wouldn’t go as far to say that by studying the English alone you can’t gain a proper understanding;
    Mostly because there’s enough variety among the different English translations that shades of meaning can be gleaned from them.

But no single version gets it right all the time.
    If you tie yourself to one version, you indeed can have a limited understanding of a passage and can be lead astray.

Original language study brings additional information into the study of the passage.

Rob

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, lemme say that we cannot fully understand most Scriptures w/o the HOLY SPIRIT'S guidance.

With that said, we must remember to do OUR part and READ. The HS will do HIS part only if we do OURS. And if He makes several versions and several languages available to any of us, we should take advantage, remembering to PRAISE AND THANK HIM for making them available.

We have commented ad nauseum about the correct definition of the Greek word spoudazo & the 17th C. definition of "study", concluding it means "work diligently". But this diligent work involves studying according to the modern definition of study. Every time I read the Bible, I learn something new to me, & I hope all of YOU do, too!

#4 robycop3, Mar 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you ktn4eg for your response, however, I can see that this is going to quickly digress into a version issue. That is not the point of this thread. I would ask the Moderators to please close the thread.

#5 Pastor_Bob, Mar 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mean to be obstinant.
    It would be impossible to not make it a version issue.
    You are asking if we can gain a correct understanding by just reading an English translation.
    The yardstick then, would be a single English version.

Study of the original languages provide an earlier measure.

Rob

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

As requested

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.