1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reflections

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Oct 12, 2017.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have grown closer to joining the ancients, a greater amount of my memories are no longer available for recall. Where once I could lift verses and their location by accessing “the pages of my mind,” the book can hardly be found much less opened.

Thankfully, the online resources are a great help.

Many of the posters on the B.B. are old. We each have tragedies and triumphs that are good to share.

The wisdom gathered should be placed on the B.B. to be an encouragement to the participants.

Perhaps even a special part of the BB could be created to archive these nuggets, and various threads would allow the easy search of how one met various challenges in The Way.

It would be sort of like an ongoing “Pilgrims Progress.”

Some have shared privately and publicly the historical events that impacted lives, and about people that were considered the “greats” of the past now long past.

Would it not be good to have a section of the BB available to have these reflections stored.

What reflections would you include if there were such a appointed forum?

Would it be a place where one could look for anecdotes of influential people of the past that older members met and knew that would be useful?

Perhaps a personal reflection posted would again turn a page in the memory one ready to join the ancients, might again illuminate that recollection, and might comfort those struggling along “the Way.”

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I think about the momentous events that shaped my life I find both positives and negatives.

I grew up in a Christian home but rebelled against all that my parents stood for. But my mother lived to be 102 and called me "Pastor" for the last 20 years of her life.

I joined the military during one of the most unpopular wars our nation ever fought. And came home alive and much more mature.

But when I returned home I continued my rebellion against my parents and the God of my parents.

Finally, when I was 27, God broke my rebellious spirit and drew me unto Himself.

It was at church that I met the woman who would be the love of my life, the wife of my youth, the mother of my children, and my loving companion in our old age.

We lost a little boy 41 years ago. But we adopted a little girl who had been abandoned and was considered "unadopable" by CPS. We adopted her anyway. And now we have not only a beautiful daughter, but a wonderful son-in-law and three magnificent grandsons, all loving and serving the Lord.

In 1976 I was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer. I fought that scourge for 30 years, and finally God gave me the victory. But the battle took its toll. The medications I took damaged my heart so badly that my physical activities were severely limited. Then, the following year, I was diagnosed with MS. What little mobility I had left was compromised. I have lived every day for 10 years in excruciating pain.

But all is not as dark as it may seem.

God allowed me to attend Seminary, earn a graduate degree and a post graduate degree.

He allowed me to pastor a church full of wonder people for 27 years. He allowed me to teach at a Seminary for 25 years and pour my knowledge and experience into a new generation of young preachers.

And now I am retired, resting, but still doing pulpit supply when needed and filling in for adult Sunday School teachers when necessary. I sing in the Senior Choir, and thoroughly enjoy every moment of my life, knowing it may be my last.

Psalm 30:5 His favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may stay for the night, but joy comes in the morning.

My wife and I were talking yesterday about our lives as we now know them. She asked me if I was happy. I said, "Yes, I am as happy as I have ever been." She smiled, hugged me, and said, "Me too."

Proverbs 19:23 The fear of Yahweh leads to life, then contentment; he rests and will not be touched by trouble.

1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a wonderful testimony!

Would it not be good to have a special section on the B.B. where this and other life experiences and that of people who influenced you could be a resource for future folks to use?

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suggest it to the Webmaster.

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not certain I remember how.

Would it be a matter you might consider offering to the webmaster?

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I put in a text message.

• Like Like x 1