1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformation Day - Trick or Treat

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by thessalonian, Oct 30, 2003.

1. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

No surprize reformation day is tommorrow (halloween). I'll celebrate it with a Rosary for all you non-Catholicis on this board.

God bless.

2. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

I'm going home this weekend (family is Lutheran) and we will be watching Luther the Movie. :eek: [​IMG]

3. MikeS

MikeS New Member

So, which is the True Reformed Church?

Wow, look at all those hands go up! [​IMG]

4. mozier

mozier New Member

Today marks the anniversary of my salvation!

I was saved on October 31, 1997. On this day I accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and gave my trust to him, and to him alone, for my salvation. I then renounced all my ties to Roman Catholicism.

Once this was done, I typed out a statement detailing all of this and literally nailed it to the door of the local Roman Catholic cathedral! [​IMG]

And then last year, when I temporarily slipped back into Roman Catholicism at a time of terrible weakness, I repented of this sin by going back to this very door, touching it, and praying God's forgiveness in what I had done. I then walked away, without looking back.

May God bless this most wonderful of days! And may God bless Martin Luther, too.

mozier [​IMG]

5. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]So, which is the True Catholic Church?

6. MikeS

MikeS New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Why, the one led by the successor to Peter, of course! I guess that's what all those hands wanted to tell you! [​IMG]

7. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]2 or 3 of my little kiddies when I find a dollar bill around the house many times will claim it. Does that mean that there claims are correct? Not hardly. The difference with them is usually when I press them on the issue I find out who really was the one who lost the dollar. Rarely will you find that with non-catholics who reject legitimate authority and then must justify their own manufactured authority system. I guess that is why the Bible says we must be "childlike". These days Protestants tell me there all one big happy family. No significant dissagreements is the most common response I get. Yet when you press Lutherans and Baptists about the sacrements or Salvation for instance they vary quite widely. If they were as buddy buddy as they talk you would think they would all just join hands and get along as one Californian philosopher who couldn't buy a bus ticket once said ("can't we all just get along"). But the said fact is that if you go back to when the divisions occured (and are occuring) the conversation is hardly "oh well, your taking half my congregation with you. Great. God bless and we will pray for the success of your new little denominaiton" but rather more likely after they have been defrocked and slandered (I've seen it happen) "don't let the door hit ya in the a@##$s on the way out.". Luther and Zwingli were hardly buds.

Blessings

8. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]My hand goes up for there is only one True Catholic Church on earth as described in the Creed:

I believe that there is upon earth a little holy group and congregation of pure saints, under one head, even Christ, called together by the Holy Ghost in one faith, one mind, and understanding, with manifold gifts, yet agreeing in love, without sects or schisms. I am also a part and member of the same, a sharer and joint owner of all the goods it possesses, brought to it and incorporated into it by the Holy Ghost by having heard and continuing to hear the Word of God, which is the beginning of entering it...
    But outside of this Christian Church, where the Gospel is not, there is no forgiveness, as also there can be no holiness [sanctification]. Therefore all who seek and wish to merit holiness [sanctification], not through the Gospel and forgiveness of sin, but by their works, have expelled and severed themselves [from this Church]...
    These articles of the Creed, therefore, divide and separate us Christians from all other people upon earth. For all outside of Christianity, whether heathen, Turks, Jews, or false Christians and hypocrites, although they believe in, and worship, only one true God, yet know not what His mind towards them is, and cannot expect any love or blessing from Him; therefore they abide in eternal wrath and damnation. For they have not the Lord Christ, and, besides, are not illumined and favored by any gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Luther's Large Catechism

9. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

The TRUE CHURCH is the ENTIRE body of ALL born-again believers who have ever lived from the time
    of Christ until now. If a person thinks that the CHURCH isn't that, then they are obviously not a part of it.

10. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]My hand goes up for there is only one True Catholic Church on earth as described in the Creed:

I believe that there is upon earth a little holy group and congregation of pure saints, under one head, even Christ, called together by the Holy Ghost in one faith, one mind, and understanding, with manifold gifts, yet agreeing in love, without sects or schisms. I am also a part and member of the same, a sharer and joint owner of all the goods it possesses, brought to it and incorporated into it by the Holy Ghost by having heard and continuing to hear the Word of God, which is the beginning of entering it...
    But outside of this Christian Church, where the Gospel is not, there is no forgiveness, as also there can be no holiness [sanctification]. Therefore all who seek and wish to merit holiness [sanctification], not through the Gospel and forgiveness of sin, but by their works, have expelled and severed themselves [from this Church]...
    These articles of the Creed, therefore, divide and separate us Christians from all other people upon earth. For all outside of Christianity, whether heathen, Turks, Jews, or false Christians and hypocrites, although they believe in, and worship, only one true God, yet know not what His mind towards them is, and cannot expect any love or blessing from Him; therefore they abide in eternal wrath and damnation. For they have not the Lord Christ, and, besides, are not illumined and favored by any gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Luther's Large Catechism
    </font>[/QUOTE]Let's see, Prov 3:5 says to trust not in your own understanding...

Psalm 119 tells you to trust not in wicked men.

Jer 3:15 says that God will give us shepherds after his own heart who will give wisdom and understanding. I don't see anywhere in scrpture that prophesies that dear Martin is one of those shepherds. Me thinks he is a Psalm 119 sort. Now Jesus tells Peter the Rock who recieves the keys (keys indicate succession) that he is one of those shepherds in John 21 (feed my sheep.... sounds like a shepherd to me) and Peter speaks of the shepherds he has left in his letters. Hmmmmm..... I also don't see anywhere that says Martin Luther's writings are canonical though I am sure that he himself elevated them to above James and a couple of other books.

Blessings

11. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

All born again believers who persevered that is. They do have to persevere? In truth there is nothing conflicting that I know of with regard to the Catholic definition of Church and that definition. The part you are missing is the visible part. The light set upon a hill for all to see. The place where men can go to settle their disputes (matt 18). You guys keep forgetting about that verse. If John and you get in to a disagreement and he wrongs you is he going to agree to go to your Church to have it settled God's way. Not likely. Is your Church going to be able to treat him like a tax collector. I am really sure he would care. Submit to scripture men. Cast out your pride. Think about what Mt. 18 says!

Blessings

12. MikeS

MikeS New Member

What exactly are we to believe, and how do you know? What is your infallible authority for knowing the exact beliefs that make one a "believer"?

Are there layers of Truth? Beyond the Truth that a believer must accept, are there additional Truths that bring one more in line with the mind and will of God? Is there a set of Truths which can bring one closer to the mind and will of God than other sets?

Inquiring minds want to know! [​IMG]

13. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

What exactly are we to believe, and how do you know? What is your infallible authority for knowing the exact beliefs that make one a "believer"?

Are there layers of Truth? Beyond the Truth that a believer must accept, are there additional Truths that bring one more in line with the mind and will of God? Is there a set of Truths which can bring one closer to the mind and will of God than other sets?

Inquiring minds want to know! [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Jesus said: "teach all that I have commanded you". What I want to know is did he command the contradictions of Protestantism. If not what they heck are they teaching something he didn't ask they to.

Blessings