1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reformed Pastor Shares Emotional Hug with the Pope

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jerome, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That 40 weeks in the womb has nothing to do with being born of water (again) and the spirit. Good grief, how many times is baptism spoken of in the Scriptures? Plenty my brother! We are on the same page as regards the shedding of blood and being born of the Spirit, the only problem here is your inexplicable rejection of baptism. According to Jesus, both are required.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inexplicable: an interesting word. How do we explain how the thief on the cross got to paradise without baptism. Jesus went to paradise that day with an unbaptized thief. Surely the answer is in the canon law. Someone's baptismal fount is seriously corrupted.

You are presenting a bizarre combination of the philosophy of Aristotle and the legalism of the Roman Empire--wandering somewhere in the wonderful world of Pontifex Maximus and Medici.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

3. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you serious? The thief on the cross was hanging next to God Incarnated. When Jesus (God Incarnated) turned to the thief and said he was to get to paradise that day, that was all that was needed. One word from God and that was that. Boom! Wham-O! You're in! The rest of us read the Scriptures and act accordingly.

Come Lord Jesus, and help our brother to see.

#103 Adonia, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  4. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of like instant beatification. Does this fellow have a special day of the year on which he hears prayers?

Amen to reading the Scripture. What about the Catechism and proclamations of the Pope and the Holy Fathers?

Have you studied the Pontifex Maximus and pontiffs like Leo X and other Medicis? Leo X gets credit for selling indulgences and passes to get out of purgatory. Did the thief on the cross bypass purgatory?

Beware the wolves dressed like sheep.

Bro. James

5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I haven't heard of one.

The Catechism? A very good book that explains the Church's theology in detail. As for proclamations by the Pope and the Holy Fathers they should be studied and believed because the Holy Spirit is behind them both.

Yes, the Church can indeed issue indulgences, though these days such a thing has fallen out of favor somewhat, but the whole idea comes from the "binding and loosing" power the church was given by Jesus himself and I am sure you know the appropriate scriptural passage.

As for the thief, since God Himself said he would go to paradise that day, he surely did. So in his case, there would have been no purging process as alluded to in the Holy Writ that the rest of us could be subject to.

So come Lord Jesus, don't forget to help our brother out.

#105 Adonia, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good works will accompany savign faith, not adding to salvation, but show off to others that we have now been saved!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said to believe on Him gives eternal life, John agreed with Him, do you?

8. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

James we do GOOD WORKS for free. We don't treat God like a Gold Digger or Prostitute who is only interested in his Money, Wealth, REWARDS--->salvation.

If doing Good Works required it, sign me up for hell.

If Jesus Christ requested something of you how much do you value his request? Could I trade you all of heaven for it? Could I threaten you will all of hell?

When given a command from Jesus the first thing you ask is...... wait one second Jesus let me put you on hold.......Is this going to give me salvation?......is this even going to give me 5$ or 100$?

Brother, Let me teach you to do the command of GOD for FREE.

How to be a fearless saint.

You ought to trust God to NEVER have to ask what is in it for me.

The good works is Love God and Love neighbor. Salvation? hah, You can get shot for doing these things. They can spit on you for doing this, They can torture you, They can nail you to the cross. While your Christian brethren be little you for putting loving GOD and neighbor as highest priority.

Yeah you can get salvation with them, with a beautiful crown of gems. Our crowns are thorns. We suffer with him with a glad heart.

The Good Works of Loving God is not going to give you salvation, maybe that's true, didn't care.

God loves me, I didn't give him a heaven or a earth or anything.

9. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's salvation is unconditional and totally unmerited. The salvation by the papal system is based on keeping sacraments, eating the flesh of Jesus, drinking the blood of Jesus and following an impossible system of rites and liturgy--just to get to purgatory. However indulgences can be granted to shorten the purging time. This is an impossible yoke of bondage.

The real gospel (good news) is that Jesus died to set us free from the bondage of sin and death even though there is nothing we can do to deserve it or earn it. It has nothing to do with vain worship per the commandments of men.

It is still the most important question in this life: Are we sure where we will spend eternity?

Bro. James

10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are so wrong. It is not the papal system, but the Jesus system - everyone of those sacraments you disparage are listed in your Bible and were instituted by Jesus Christ himself. They are the means to help us live a holy life, all starting out with recognizing Jesus, his great sacrifice, and listening to his bride, the Holy Catholic Church.

11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course I do. And I also believe that we are to listen to his holy church which he himself brought into being.

12. utilyan

Site Supporter

"It is still the most important question in this life: Are we sure where we will spend eternity?"

That's the difference between our teaching.

"My important question is : What does Jesus want me to do?"

Your only worried about what is in it for you.

Take yourself out of the equation.

Your looking through selfish glasses, "what is in it for me?"

The Good works is LOVE GOD and LOVE NEIGHBOR.

The priority is GOD FIRST, My brothers and Sisters, that is every other soul.

What's it take to trade up the LOVE OF GOD as unnecessary? I've seen people do it for lesser things then "salvation".

You've made an idol of salvation.

1 Corinthians 13

1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God requires us to place faith/trust into Jesus to save us from our sins, Period!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY 2 ever were listed and given to us by Jesus, as there is NO sacrametal grace needed. as Jesus paid it all!

15. utilyan

Site Supporter

Command is LOVE GOD, LOVE NEIGHBOR.

Faith Alone is not a commandment and even an error JAMES 2.

James 2

20But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?

He ain't talking about me, Yeshua, Who is this fool that thinks faith alone is useful?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That will not deal with your sin issue though!

17. utilyan

Site Supporter

Of course it does, under Love God.

1 john 3

23This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. 24The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

1 john 2

1My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
    3By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

1 John 2

22Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son. 23Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father; the one who confesses the Son has the Father also. 24As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.

If you don't Love God, then you deny Jesus is the Christ. Plain and simple.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still does not save you.....

19. utilyan

Site Supporter

God's command can spell certain doom, I'm still going to do it.

Not my will, but the Lord's be done.

You put value on whether it gives salvation or not. You don't care what God commands unless it pays you salvation. You say your not going to do what God says, because there is nothing in it for you and you wont get anything out of it.

I put value on whether God wants it done or not.

Because he commands it, it is more important.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Update: Holland, Michigan churches will commemorate, but not celebrate, the Reformation:

http://www.sooeveningnews.com/news/20170129/letter-commemorating-reformation-in-order-to-grow-unity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.