1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Regarding Time...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, May 23, 2012.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Do you mean to define it as an arithmetic or geometric sequence? :)

Math is our friend, btw, if you need any help with your math endeavor, feel free to email me. I am assuming your math requirement is a Pre-Calculus College Algebra level course?

2. quantumfaith

Sorry, perhaps it was a poor attempt at analogical thought. My point was, there are many wonderful and grand things that we are peeking into, so as to understand, which scripture never addresses. The investigation into, and the attempts to understand the philosophy of time is one of those things. Just for and example, we KNOW time does not pass a constant rate.

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Great, I'm glad we're to this part of the thread... so, I will look at the scripture you provided and also welcome contributions of others regarding arguements FROM SCRIPTURE regarding the matter.

4. humblethinker

(I edited your comment... does it reflect what you meant?)
    You mean to say relative to an outside observer, correct? Would you say that there never was a time that I personally experienced time passing at a variant rate?

I have had the impression of it for sure... a temporal parallax if you will... :)

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apples and oranges.

Time is not a metaphysical essence. It has physical properties that can be measured and is tied to the finite physical universe. See GPS systems.

Love is metaphysical and exists outside creation. It is eternal as a property of God's ontology.

6. humblethinker

Would you say that it is impossible for their to be a "sequential relationship between events" outside of our universe's time?

We honestly think that we experience love and relationship. Would you say that we are not really experiencing those things but that it is just an illusion?

Does it exist inside creation as well? Is it truly love that we experience from God interacting with us in this creation or is it just the impression of God's love that we experience?

7. quantumfaith

Actually rate of measured time passage is known to be affected by two things,

1. velocity time dilation
    2. gravitational time dilation

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If time is a measured quantity affected by those two parameters, is it physically possible to go forward or backward in time, maybe in relation to the speed of light?

9. quantumfaith

Some say yes, from a purely "mathematical" point of view. Myself, I say no.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That would be interesting, wouldn't it? What if one went back in time and killed Judas, Pilate, and the entire Pharisee leadership on the Thursday before Good Friday? I can see why you are probably right in saying no. Can you imagine if humans could do that? It seems to me that God's will would not allow it.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I once tried to get through a book about the speed of light and how time progresses at a different rate as one approaches that speed. I got as far as understanding as one approached the speed of light, time slowed down. That would in effect put you into the future if you returned to earth from a trip near the speed of light. I never did understand how one would go to the past.

Time travel, although impossible, has certainly made some interesting concepts and situations in the entertainment world. The Twilight Zone had some really good episodes on the subject. It even gets more fascinating when pondering time travel in relation to a sovereign God.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

Oh my word! People really need to get over themselves. Now they are trying to make up "intellectual" things to think about. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

#72 mandym, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2012
  13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You mean, eight pages dumb?

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

What do you mean "we KNOW time does not pass a constant rate"?

S/N has mentioned that if one could approach the speed of light time would slow down [called time dilation]. However, no one has ever approached the speed of light.

Physicist, Dr Russell Humphreys, has written a book Starlight and Time in which he attempts to account for the transfer of light from distant stars in days rather than light years during creation. In doing so he is using current theories. He is not trying to probe the mind of God and eternity which seems to be the purpose of the OP!

Read the following after my initial post!
    Have there been any observations of real time dilation or is this still theory?

#74 OldRegular, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
  15. OldRegular

:thumbs::applause::thumbs::applause:

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Everyone needs to remember that Old Regular was operating the teleprompter when the very first words were spoken. Let there be light.

17. OldRegular

Didn't know you were there S/N. Sorry I missed you.

18. quantumfaith

Mandy, I think you misinterpret some. HT, is not going out of his way to appear intellectual. Some christian thinkers are motivated to "think" on difficult things to seek answers about this extraordinary creation of God. If one seeks such solely for the pursuit of fanciful intellect, somewhat the charge of Paul to the greeks, then yes it is most certainly in vain. If one seeks, with some degree of humility to understand creation and the God who made this, in order to glorify God, then it is not "dumb". IMO, one such thinker, William Lane Craig does just this in his ministry as an apologist.

19. quantumfaith

It has been repeatedly observed in fact, you mentioned GPS (I think) in one of your earlier posts, for GPS to function in a "correct" manner, it must be considered in the engineering of the system. Lorentz transformations (and possibly even more sophisticated mathematics) are necessary in time critical applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

20. Cypress

Cypress New Member

Great thread so far. I am interested to see the answer to these questions. Been waiting for it to get to this point. Btw, lots of observations have been made about time, but nobody really "knows" what it is do they? As you know, I think time was more closely described by Newton than he gets credit for today.