1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Regeneration: Is it a prelude to OR the Act of Salvation ~Born Again~

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Allan, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Another example is:
    Mark 5:34 Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole.

It could be said like this :
    Every person who is [currently CONTINUING in] Belief that Jesus is the Christ has been Fathered [into birth] of God.
    This verse reveals both actions stemming from a past point, therefore it is about a state of being and NOT about chronology brother. It is not about those who are just now believeing (since believing is in the Present Active Participle) showing they were already born of God but that it establishes those who are currently believing to be definitively in the Family of God.

It can be paraphrase this way as well :
    Those who are Fathered (born) of God are known because of their continuing belief that Jesus is the Christ.

#21 Allan, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  2. Allan

Allan Active Member

I don't know about all that. :laugh:
    But I still appreciate you comments. :thumbs:

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

TCGreek and Webdog, I appreciate your interactions as well.

4. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Why put a time frame on being born again?..... oops... I used that word. :)

It is rather a chronological order rather than a time frame. Wouldn't you agree that to be born again is a work of God? Why limit God to time? He is not bound by time.... He is present at the culmination of all "time". This is a common mistake we humans make.

Now... lets make this clear. God's election of men is not because of His foresight. His election of men is because of His good pleasure. If you want to view election as because of God's foresight, then what God foresees men will do... no way around it. God's decrees will stand.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actaully the 'Perfect Tense' is 'viewed' commonly in the past tense.
    Though it might have a present tense 'force'(by this I assume you are meaning the continuence of action ascribed to beleif), it is actually refering both the birth and the belief as past actions continuing on (even presently).

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Your a stinker :laugh:

Exactly, so it isn't about regeneration BEFORE salvation, since both belief and born (again) by virtue of the tenses states they are established as past acts.
    (whether a milli-second ago or 50 years) But establishes the Fact that you can not have one without the other.

This is not about 'election' :) but regeneration brother.

But I will ask this since you were kind in appearing here.
    God elected (no question), and He elected based upon His purpose and Plan (no problem here either). If His election was not arbitrary however, (and I know you don't believe it was) then upon what did God elect you if it is not arbitrary?

IF you beleive there was a reason for electing you, even if YOU don't know what it is but God, then why so quick to dismiss what other believe the scriptures state AS PART OF why He chose us?

God doesn't 'foresee' anything. He knows all things, the 'fore' regarding knew is a construct establishing a time of when it occured for our benifit.

Now if you would care to, please engage the OP so this doesn't become a thread on 'Election' rather than Regeneration. Wait - am I really expecting this to stay on topic :laugh:

7. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

I don't disagree with what you are saying and don't believe it runs contrary to what I am saying. My point is that the present force is generally the majority use. That does not mean to imply it negates the view to the past, the perfect tense necessitates this but its force of use is present most often, particularly here. Now my view that it is most often used this way is debatable, but I don't think we are debating how often what force is used when but are discussing this use here. And here the present force is being used for the emphasis.

So let me be clear. I understand the general definition of the perfect tense. An completed action in the past with present or ongoing results. But the uses of the perfect has varying forces. One emphasizing the past action and the other emphasizing the present results of that past action and both of these categories have their own subtle but significant nuances. I realize you know this but I say this to make clear to you that I do as well.

#27 Alex Quackenbush, Sep 21, 2007
  8. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Right now I smell like hickory smoke. :)

To quote a professor of mine whom I love dearly; "I'm not so sure I can't agree with that." :)

According to the kindness of His will, for His glory. Ephesians 1: also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will,
    12. to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory.

I don't dismiss what the Scriptures say. It is all ultimately for HIs glory.

Agreed.

No.... you know it will not stay on topic... this is the Baptist Board. lol

Put up with me brother...... I don't post that much anymore. Besides, I gotta go put the side orders together for the cookout. I've got a lot of hungry people coming tonight. Grace and peace.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. That is historically true.

2. Ahhh!

3. If YOU understand regeneration that way, then yes.

4. An either/or fallacy.

5. I had no idea you would get all that from what I said.

6. You made more of Rom 8:28-30 than I imagine.

7. Paul is ready to leave Corinth because of what he considered a failed effort. However, in a vision the Lord says to him that he has His people in Corinth. Then we read in 1 Cor 1:26, "For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble."

I only ask that we begin at the OP's questions so we can better elaborate brother. I look forward to discussing this more, since I believe I still have mountains to learn regardless what I think I understand.[/QUOTE]

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. And what do you make of the use of the perfect tense in 1 Cor 15:4?

2. How can you divorce a prior, completed historical act from the perfect and only concentrate on its present realities?

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What is the point of Mark 5:34?

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I'm in agreement with your understand, but neither is the fact of a past completed action negated, though the present results might be emphasized.

2. Therefore, it comes down to context and theology.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. 1 John 4:7 reads, "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God" (1 John 4:7, emphasis mine).

2. The same elements are here. Should we then argue that your ability to love precedes your newbirth/regeneration?

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok, I read you clearly now. :thumbs:

#34 Allan, Sep 21, 2007
  15. Allan

Allan Active Member

It is the same as 1 John 5:1

If we are to derive chronolgy from the Perfect tense, we must deduce that the woman was whole before she had faith :)

Thus my comment regarding 1 John 5:1:
    If you will notice, it acknowledges the Past action done while concentrating on its present realities which Alex spoke of.

It is not referencing chronology but a state of present being due to the past acts of belief and being born.

#35 Allan, Sep 21, 2007
  16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. And I voiced my agreement for that use of the perfect, but context and theology must decide.

2. What do we do with 1 John 4:7 that is more like 5:1 than Mark 5:34?

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

So let me get this straight (cause I'm not sure I have)
    You hold a person is first saved, then comes to believe?
    or
    That a person must believe in order to be saved?

Well unless you go back and answer the OP so I know better where you stand, I will be all over the map :laugh:

This is why I stated:

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So, in your theology Regeneration/Newbirth=Salvation, correct?

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

Nothing different. It is seen the same way.
    It could be redered like this :
    Beloved,... let Every person who is [currently CONTINUING in] love for one another has been Fathered [into birth] of God.
    This verse still (like 1 John 5:1) reveals both actions stemming from a past point, therefore it is about a state of being and NOT about chronology, just as it is with 1 John 5:1. It is not about those who are just now loving one another (since love is in the Present Active Participle) showing they were already born of God but that it establishes those who are currently loving one another to be definitively in the Family of God - born.

It can be paraphrase this way as well :
    Those who are Fathered (born) of God are known because of their continuing love for the brethren.

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

umm... Belief/faith = Regeneration/Newbirth/salvation

Regeneration and the Newbirth are different terms regarding the same thing, salvation.

and you?

Does this mean you wont answer the OP as well?

#40 Allan, Sep 21, 2007