1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured regeneration =salvation=rebirth from abbove!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Yeshua1, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honestly do not know his proficiency in using Strong's numbers and doing a NT search. I'm sure he can manage it. As you said, a cave man could do it.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just wanted to see all the answers first!

Agree that salvation in the bible can and does refer to differing meanings, based upon the contex, but to the OP itself again...

When used in the contex and setting of meaning deliverence from sind,being saved/reborn again, being now a Christian...

Are there ny timesit means one is not always regenerated/reborn saved by God at same time?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying salvation never refers to a future action by God for those who have been saved from the penalty of sin? I do not think you have studied the verses where future salvation is presented.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Timothy 2:15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

1 Timothy 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets consider Luke 2:30 Here we have the English word "salvation" but it appears this is referring to the one who brings salvation, namely God the Son, the baby Jesus.

So why not translate this as "your deliverer" And at Ephesians 6:17 the helmet of salvation would be translated the helmet of your Deliverer. Then we would have eliminated 5 cases where salvation does not refer the act, but to the one bringing it. And we would understand the helmet of our Deliverer to be our future progressive sanctification (progressively being freed from the power of sin over our thoughts and actions) and our ultimate sanctification (the redemption of our bodies.)

#25 Van, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,your fab 5 versions have "salvation" in the text as do 14 other main English Bible translations. Shall I mark your favs as Calvinistic corruptions --or do they get a pass? I want to know because they are getting near that six passage limit you imposed. After that line is crossed you would label them "Bad" translations having too many Calvinistic corruptions.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Rippon, my favorite Bible translations are the NASB, the NKJV, the HCSB, the NET, and the WEB. All of them translate different Greek words into the same English word, in this example two different Greek words translated as "salvation." Thus to preserve the distinction made by the inspired word of God, we should translate the word that means the one who brings salvation and the promised hope of salvation, differently than the word that means to be saved from the penalty of sin.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know very well what your fab 5 are.
    Again,your fab 5 translated it as "salvation" in the text when you wanted the word rendered as deliverer. Do they get demerits by you or not?

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, I presented my view, and Rippon asks again to answer what I just answered.

Yes, anytime a translation uses the same English word to translate two or more different Greek words, the translators are obliterating the word of God.

Here is a simple example, translating both Hades and Gehenna as hell. This obliterates the distinction God was making between those two very different places.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.