1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Regeneration

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, May 4, 2016.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything about the LS Puritan nosey judgemental fruit inspecting witch hunting for false professors posts you all make is KILLJOY. Pharisaim redux.

#101 kyredneck, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me say it again. When a person is transferred into the kingdom of Christ, they are transferred out of the realm of darkness (separated spiritually from God) and united with God, made alive together with Christ, regenerated, born anew, and made a new creation created for good works. And all this occurs while the individual is still physically alive on earth, but spiritually a part of us is in heaven. Don't get lost in Old Testament types and shadows.

3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother KYR, I believe, to a certain extent, we are talking past each other. I agree that regeneration is solely the work of grace wrought upon the heart by God. I do not deny this. Neither do those who you are using in your posts. However, where I take umbrage is to this notion that regeneration happens when no one has never even heard of the name of Jesus.

Ppl who are anti-gospel regeneration quickly rush to Abram as their support. One problem, it was God who spoke directly to him. He knew who Christ was because, if you do a careful study, Christ is Jehovah, the pre-incarnate Christ. Look at J.L. Dagg's statement where he said "the Holy Spirit makes the word effectual." He is saying that the Holy Spirit, through the proclamation of the gospel, quickens those who God chosen from before the creation of the world, and they are then converted by their faith and repentance, which are both gifts of God in regeneration.

Ppl then want to rush to John the Baptist as he leapt for joy in Elizabeth's womb. Only one problem...that is the only occurrence recorded in the bible, so it would be foolish to use that event to build one's doctrine upon.

B.H. Carroll states "quickening him or making him sensitive to the preaching of the Word." Again, he is saying that regeneration does not happen in a vacuum but by the Spirit of God through the preaching of the gospel.

Look at 1 Corinthians for instance..."For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate. Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe."
    [vss 18-21] Those who are saved in today's world are saved solely through the gospel. Then in Romans 1 we can read... For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”[vss 16,17] The gospel saves everyone who believes and it also displays the righteousness of God. Those who believe are those whose heart God has wrought grace upon as they heard the word of God being preached, witnessed to, or taught through the word of God.

No gospel...no salvation.

4. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you are on a LS'er witch hunt.

5. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    J.L. Dagg states "God, the Holy Spirit, makes the word effectual in producing a new affection in the soul." He is NOT saying what you think he is saying. He is saying that through the word of God, through the proclamation of the gospel, He quickens whoever He wills. But Joe Blow in deepest darkest Africa who has never seen the first missionary, who has never heard the word of God either in preaching or in witnessing, knows nothing about the risen Christ. They can not be quickened without having some knowledge that the risen Christ came in the flesh. That is the thrust of Paul's argument in Romans 10 when he wrote "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” But not all the Israelites accepted the good news. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our message?” Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ." Faith, which is a gift of God, comes from hearing the word. As the gospel is being proclaimed, God quickens those of His own choosing.

And yet Paul knew about the risen Christ, as He was foretold in the OT scriptures he was taught. It was when Christ revealed Himself to Paul(Saul at that time), and knocked him off his camel(I think that was his ride) that he knew that Christ was God's only Son. But to use Saul of Tarsus to support your claim is not wise. How many were shown this bright Light that blinded them? One. You can not build your argument off of Saul, no more than you can Abram.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

You have no clue and are so far off track here it's pathetic. Not one thing I stated had a thing to do with anything you said above. Not one. You have LS on the brain while you yourself preach a false works salvation.

• Agree Agree x 1