1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Regent University and Pat Robertson

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that Regent University is a Pentecostal school, right? Well I just heard on the radio Pat Robertson say that he is Southern Baptist. I thought he started Regent? Did he change his denomination? If so when and why?

Martin.

2. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

I heard the same thing. Curious for an answer.

3. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Pat Robertson has always been Southern Baptist.

4. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

James Robinson too

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i have never known that about either one of them...interesting.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well am wrong in thinking that he was a founder of Regent University?

If I am right, why did a Southern Baptist help found a Pentecostal school?

Nothing wrong with that but it seems a bit odd.

Martin.

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

Are you speaking of Pat Robertson? I've always considered him a charismatic Baptist.

Bill

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary recently hired a professor that received his doctorate from Robertson's university. It is nothing like Regent College in Vancouver, B.C.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Someone needs to come up with support for the claims ...

What church holds their membership?

10. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

I was shocked to find out that Oral Roberts was a Methodist.

11. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning Pat Robertson,

Pat was the son of a US Senator. He was also a Marine. He is trained as a minister and as a lawyer by education. When he ran for president in 1988 I believe, he surrendered his ministry credential for obvious reasons. He started Regent U (I don't remember the dates) as a spin off from the 700 Club (more or less) as a graduate university to change the country from the inside out, ie, through the different discilpines. Recently he was re-ordained I believe.

Becasue of my eclectic background, I have been following him for about 30 years. I don't speak in tongues--don't go there!!!

His school is very slanted and one sided but not in a way BJU is. They believe that one should engage the culture on their own grounds and not run from it. It all comes from the theological base that God has given us Americans a mandate by the Constitutuion to establish the US as a "Christian Nation."

Some of this is sketchy I know and needs some clarification, but is accurate in the main I believe. Please feel free to correct and fill in where necessary.

sdg!

rd

12. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Rhetorician is correct in his information. I just recently read Pat Robertson's authorized biography from around the time of his presidential run. I gained some respect for the man. I must say, perhaps to my fault, I'm quick to take religious "t.v. personalities" with a grain of salt. However, my view of Robertson has changed. I believe he has a sincere heart in wanting to the country by raising up leaders that have been solidly trained, i.e. Regent University. Regent began as CBN University and was, as Rhetorician explained a Christian graduate school. It has grown to become a full-fledged university offering undergrad and grad programs. Many of the graduates of their law school, the only one of its kind until just recently, work for David Gibbs Christian Law Association. Anyway...to make a long post longer....according to Robertson's biography, he was a Yale educated lawyer, raised Southern Baptist (and still claims to be, although he is "charismatic"), he felt called to ministry and attended (if I recall correctly) New York Theological Seminary. Regent is not Pentecostal in that it is affiliated with the UPC, however it is modeled after the beliefs of its founder. By the way, Robertson endured much hardship the in the early years of his ministry and was not, by any means being fed with a silver spoon. I hope this answers some questions!

Matt