1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Regent's PhD Program in Renewal Studies

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang!!

Does anyone on the BB know anything about Regent's PhD program or know of anyone who has been graduated from it.

It looks really really good on the web page. Let me know if there is any connections out there.

One draw back I saw and I guess that the same thing can be and has been said about DTS; the costs are astronomical.:tonofbricks:

Let me hear from you.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

2. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

I have a friend who is a Church of God (Cleveland, TN) that seriously considered getting his PhD from there, however once he saw the cost he quickly decided otherwise.

Interestingly, he is classic pentecostal but received his MDiv and PhD from Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary.

Isn't that your stomping ground, Rhet?

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MJohnson Response

Stomping Ground!!!!!!

That might be an understatement??!!

I graduated with an ADiv (a 96 hr Diploma as it was known then that was the same as the MDiv [-] the Biblical Languages). I stayed around and went back to school locally to get my BS degree. I have been in and around the seminary ever since. I am teaching adjunctively for Union U. and have a MABTS ADiv student in one of my classes. What an irony?!

We just had an acrimonious church split at the church that I attend and we am presently trying to find a new pastor. Dr. Mike Spradlin, the President of MABTS, is our Interim Preacher. We have staff that are MABTS alum. Etc., Etc., Etc. (I know one "etc" is all that is needed in formal writing, but I am trying to show how much MABTS is still very much a part of my life!).

And you know as I was sitting here typing this, I just realized how very much the school means and has meant to me in times gone by!!!

May God continue to bless Mid America!:praying:

sdg!

rd

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MJohnson Second Response

Bro. Johnson,

By the by, why would your Pentecostal/Charismatic brother want a second doctorate?

I am sure that if he has the PhD from MABTS that he could do any and all research he wanted to do?

Seems like overkill to me!

sdg!:wavey:

rd

5. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Rhet, this before he got his PhD from MABTS. He was looking into Regent because they are more Pentecostal, but was dismayed by their price. This was probably prior to their new PhD in Renewal Studies, but their prices have not improved any!

He has nothing but great things to say about MABTS and thinks highly of the way they treated him.....since they are more fundamentalist Baptist and he was basically Pentecostal, he was a little worried.....but he loves them!

Matt

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I looked at Regent's PhD program because they offer a focus in historical theology. The price is a big problem but there are ways around that. My main "beef" is the renewal/pentecostal bent to their programs. I am just not sure I could over-look that. I contacted Regent before I started my MA/History (will be 36hrs when complete) to see if that degree plus my MA/Religion (45hrs) would allow me to enter their PhD program. They said I needed around 60hrs in theology before I could enter. Maybe I will go back and get my MDiv when I finish my MA/History so I could enter Regent's PhD or Southern's PhD (church history) program but I really don't want to do that. What I will probably do is earn a PhD in early American history. I am looking at George Mason University among other programs. They are not much cheaper than Regent to be honest with you. Either way I am taking a break from school when I finish this program. I will probably teach religion/history at a community college, or something like that, for a few years.

#6 Martin, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  7. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

If one is interested in Regent, she should inquire about financial aid. Regent is a small enough program that my hunch is they take good care of their doctoral students. Some schools don't advertise this on websites or promotional materials but admission counselors can usually fill you in. For instance, my school looks enormously expensive, but they take care of their doctoral students here.

Martin, if you're interested in Late Medieval/Reformation studies, one Ph.D. program I highly recommend applying to is at the University of Arizona. Heiko Oberman really put that program on the map and they turn out some great graduates. An M.A. in history should meet their coursework admission qualifications.

Here's their link: http://dlmrs.web.arizona.edu/index.html

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That is a hidden gem for sure. Never heard of it, not once! Certainly an option to keep in mind though. Thanks. :thumbs: