1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reggie White

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Gershom, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surprisingly it was announced from the pulpit this morning. Eagles football is almost a religion.

Sad, he was only 43 years old.

Rob

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So sorry to hear this news.

4. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and church.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Don Tollefson came on the Eagles' pre-game show and announced it just as it was breaking.

He was not only one of the greatest to play the game and one of the most popular Eagles ever, he was a real class act.

Everybody in the Delaware Valley and all over the country, I guess, knew about his charitable works.

I went to Fountain of Life in Burlington, NJ, briefly and he came to preach there several times.

Although I did have some minor disagreements with him, doctrinally, I was always inspired by his great love for God and for God's word.

Reggie, I will miss you greatly. You were a thrill to watch and a pleasure to meet.

Go rest with God.

I will look forward to meeting you and Jerome in Heaven.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last I heard, Reggie died of sleep apnea & not a heart attack. At least, whichever it was, he didn't suffer and is likely playing flag football with a team of angels with JESUS as referee/team owner.

Reggie was a TREMENDOUS positive force, especially among the youth of Philadelphia. He used his football fame to gain the respect of thousands& thousands of young people, and has likely led thousands of people, especially young men, to JESUS.

Now, he and WALTER PAYTON will have lots to talk about!

While Reggie is undoubtedly happy, his FAMILY is likely devastated by his sudden, unexpected passing, and our prayers and condolences go out to them. His mom, in the Campbell's commercials, seemed like such a sweet, likable person who deserved the title LADY if anyone ever did.

BTW, we have a young man in my area whose life was turned around by CHRIST, and who's following reggie's example in ministering to youth...COY BACON, former NFL star, who came from Ironton, OH, about 20 miles from my home. Coy hasn't been a Christian nearly as long as Reggie was, but I'd heard him say in the past that he looked up to Reggie's example.

REGGIE WHITE...NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN BY FOOTBALL FANS & THOSE WHOM HE LED TO CHRIST! LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AGAIN, REG!

7. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So sorry to hear. [​IMG] He was a great guy, a "gentle warrior." On and off the field. Our "Minister of Defense" was the best. See you later brother, up there.

8. superdave

superdave New Member

Yahoo Reggie White Story

Here is an article from yahoo about it. They still are not saying what caused his death.

I especially like the section where they talk about his image being tarnished for speaking out against homosexuality.

They don't seem to understand that he didn't care about his image, as long as he was doing the right thing.

I know you Eagles fans are more religious about the Minister of Defense, but we recovering Cheeseheads have some claim to him as well. He was a great influence in the locker room, and in the community. He will be missed greatly, but is probably much happier to be with his Lord.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

White had the disease, known as sarcoidosis, for several years, family spokesman Keith Johnson said Sunday. He described it as a respiratory ailment that affected his sleep.

On its Web site, the American Lung Association describes sarcoidosis as a disease characterized by the presence of small areas of inflamed cells that can attack any organ of the body but is most frequently found in the lungs.

The cause of the disease, which is most common among blacks and white northern Europeans, is not known.

WWW.AJC.com

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Reggie White was a great man, our world needs more outspoken men like this! My prayers go to his family and friends!

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

HEre was an interesting article with the following quote.
    http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/sports/football/10533719.htm

I think that insight is a great one. Some tend to hold these athletes up as something special, and White apparently realized he wasn't. God doesn't need celebrities to do his work. It is refreshing to hear White say that.