1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rejected for Rejection?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Washad, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Washad

Washad Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I post this in evangelism as it pertains to salvation. I also post hesitantly but with hope that some man will be granted wisdom to give the word that will give peace to a troubled soul.
    I know a person who feels themselves to be rejected by God because they rejected Him at a certain point in their life. They were in church and heard a message. They felt they needed to come forward at the invitation to receive salvation. Their thought at the time was they had been saved when they were young and based on that thought they made a conscious choice to not move. They sensed a veil fall over thier soul.
    This was 25+ years ago. Since that time they have felt nothing spiritually. They have since decided they were not saved as a young person and that was their one chance at redemption. They have not known peace nor spiritual comfort in all this time. They focus heavily on the verse in John where he states "no man can come unto me except my Father which has sent me draw him." They felt that night was the night they were drawn and since they have never felt that sense of calling again now He refuses to draw them, hear prayers or petitions, or to show Himself in any way.
    So what say you is there hope for one who seeks salvation?

On a different note. Please give your thoughts of the OP and direct questions of clarification to me. If you could give Scripture in KJV it would help as that is the only translation he will accept. I intentionally put this in the fellowship forum for edification/exhortation and the last thing I am seeking or want to witness is debate.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm not a man and I don't use the King James primarily, but I will to answer this question.

You say this person has no peace about not being saved and "feels" nothing of a spiritual nature.

Thank the Lord our relationship with him is not based on how we feel at any given moment or decade even. It's based on Jesus Christ and his work of salvation. If God's wooing of your friend to salvation were non-existent or as he thinks, over, then he would not be oppressed by it. He wouldn't give crap. His worry and sorrow in thinking he has no chance to be saved is evidence that God IS dealing with him.

• Once your friend is dead, it is too late. "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment." Hebrews 9:27 KIV.
    • But NOW, knowing that God HAS called him to salvation and misunderstanding that he was confused about being saved as a young person......he needs to call upon the Name of the Lord who has a one point drawn him. He needs to do that today. "(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) 2 Corinthians 6:2 KJV
    • God dealt with many Biblical people over and over and over again. David, Peter, Jonah, Moses, Aaron, Samson. Does your friend REALLY believe that God withdrew the offer of salvation just because he THOUGHT he was already saved, said no, and then later realized he was NOT saved? Why would God deal these people of the Bible over and over and write your friend off in your friend's confusion?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Washad

Washad Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your words Scarlett O. I agree and both of the Scriptures you referenced have laid heavily on my heart of late. "After this the judgment" and "now IS".
    They say they are no longer drawn but I would contend the agony of emptiness is evidence of drawing. It seems the feeling of the past is the barrier to faith. Almost like "The way I felt it then I must feel it again". I will have to pray about the best way to approach them with these truths.
    ***This brings up another question I would add to the OP for all Do you think faith has some feeling? Some evidence of experience? They seem most discouraged about the emptiness, lack of peace ect.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I didn't mean that faith has no feelings. I should have said, faith should not be led by feelings. Feelings are variable. Truth is not.

Joy, compassion, love.....yes, faith has feelings. These feelings are good things.

Your friend is being led by feelings of despair and unworthiness. That's a bad place to be.

Think of it like a train. The Truth is the engine. Faith is the middle car. And Feelings are the caboose. As long as Truth is leading Faith will follow and Feelings will have no choice except to follow the Faith based on the Truth of God's Word.

But if we put Feelings as the engine car - the car will drive manically down the tracks sometimes, come to a dead stop sometimes, and jump the tracks sometimes. This leaves Faith floundering and following the way we feel and being out of control, wrong, and misleading. And the Truth which is now the caboose has unhooked from the Faith car in the chaos and is in the ditch somewhere far from the Faith car.

Feelings are normal and real. They are important to our well -being, and yet can be dangerous to our mental/spiritual state if they are the wrong feelings.

5. Washad

Washad Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see it the same way. I also like the analogy and may use it myself sometime with your approval. The reason I asked is the in the Baptist circles we have been in most everyone continues to proclaim them saved. That just brings the inevitable questions.
    1. If saving faith does produce feelings why do I feel dead inside and severed from the Lord?
    2. If this is a test of faith I do possess then why is there no respite?
    They told me once they had not known peace just the absence of problems. They had never known joy just happiness in limited circumstances and as they age those things are fewer and far between.
    It is heartbreaking. This is one of the most faithful people I know. Ask any theological question and they give Scripture (Genesis-Revelation) for the answer. They have lead people to the Lord and frequently cause those stuck in cults to question their own doctrine in light of the Word. In their hands it truly is a sword. But why can't they appropriate these truths for themselves?
    They have said that Christ is their only hope of salvation and because God alone is worthy they will continue to worship Him and proclaim His goodness no matter what. I just wish they had His peace.
    It is hard to know which direction to approach them as lost? As saved and deceived?

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got the analogy from a guy in my Sunday School class. He had read it in a book written by a preacher in the 1890's. So use it freely.

[1] He may feel severed and lost because he may actually BE lost. He may also suffer from depression or a spiritual rut. Something is obviously wrong. He could use the counseling from a competent pastor or Christian counseling services. Someone competent and live and in person.

[2] The fact that there seems no respite, to me, is indicative of the importance of competent and personal help. Long term.

7. Washad

Washad Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes one would think they would be anxious to do this. Problem is they have went to several pastors over the years. All have had the same response.
    "Are you a sinner? Yes
    Do you believe Jesus is the Son of God who died for your sins, rose from the grave, and is coming again? Yes.
    Have you asked Him to forgive you and save you from your sins? Yes.
    Brother you are saved no matter your feelings. You just need to rest in Jesus."
    They now refuse to talk to baptist pastors because this has been their life's experience. I myself have wondered if anyone is doing them a favor with all the assurances but we have all seen what anyone would call fruits of the Spirit. They brought both children to faith. The Lord answered a very specific prayer to bring one of the children into gospel ministry. This in itself is a miracle. They told no one until after this one made his calling known. The spouse, deeply committed to the Lord, would never be unequally yoked with an unbeliever. They also believed, and continue to believe, this person is saved.
    I may mention the Christian counseling. Perhaps they will hear truth from a different perspective.
    Any other thoughts folks?