1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Religiolous" / Bringing the unsaved to the Lord

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by CoJoJax, Feb 20, 2009.

1. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

So I've got a coworker who watched the movie "Religiolous" .. presented by Bill Maher. I'm sure most of you guys have heard of this guy - not the greatest guy in the world, I'd say. (Off topic here, but has anybody heard of this movie???)

Anyway, this coworker of mine is a self-proclaimed non-believer in any kind of organized religion. He's expressed this opinion to me on many occasions.

But for WHATEVER reason .. this stupid movie that evidently bashes Christianity .. has got him asking legitimate questions. He's asking me "Is Jesus really the son of God?" .. "Who wrote the Bible?" .. "How is everybody a sinner?" .. "How do you believe in all of that with no proof?".

Luckily I have another Christian co-worker who was there with me during this time of questioning ( :laugh: ) to back me up when I didn't feel like I had a good enough answer for him .. but it was crazy. I couldn't believe that movie had him so interested all of a sudden.

I've got to the point where he'd accept a small book I bought from Lifeway with little descriptions of each book of the Bible .. but for some reason .. he refuses to accept a Bible itself. I told him I had a million and I'd be willing to let him have one as a gift, but he refused. The other Christian co-worker of mine told me I was being too pushy with it. Needless to say, I felt horrible the rest of the day!

Have any of you ever been in a similar situation with a co-worker/family-member/etc.? How did you approach it .. what were your methods in slowly but surely bringing him/her to the Lord? And most of all, did your efforts succeed in the end?

Thanks again! :thumbs:

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually this happens quite often for me. I work as a security guard for a Turkey plant in the guardshack. This is outside and is responsible for overseeing the product trucks that come in and out as well as live Turkeys that come in for ... processing. However many of the truckers know that I am both a believer and a pastor so they ask me questions from different movies they see.
    the biggest movie I have had to deal with is the Da Vinci Code. Other than that believe it or not it is basically Sci-Fi movies :laugh:

I usaully listen to them talk about what they want to talk about, with some probing questions from to get to the heart of what they are really wanting to know. Sometimes they will come out and tell me and sometimes they are waiting to see what I say first. I found that when they wait they are not just wanting to be told something but are wanting to 'see' something. They want to see what the bible says and not just what I 'think' it says. What is most important is that if you don't know - TELL THEM. Then simply say you will get back to them and that it is a really good question. They do want to know the truth and THAT is why they are asking. Whether or not they will accept the truth is another story.

I would say there is no real method because each and every situation and question is different in and of itself. The real thing to remember is stick with scripture and if possible show them, your testimony, and always be leading toward the gospel. Don't get to side tracked on dirt paths (small and bickering questions) stay on the main road. Answer the question while leading them towards the gospel. Most importantly I should say follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and by all means don't be overly cautious about what to say or not to say. Just speak the truth in love and leave the rest to God. That is His job anyway, right? And if you think you messed up, don't worry because everything they were supposed to hear is in their heart not because of you but Him/God. Again, that is what He does not me :)

Lastly, It isn't about whether or not you succeed brother but whether or not you were faithful to God in testifying of Him. It is the Lord who brings the increase. But with regard to your question.. yes, many have come to know Christ but not because of what I said so much but that I was willing to be used by Him, and in so doing He glorified His name.

#2 Allan, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Pray regularly for this person and for an opportunity to share truth with him. God will provide an opening and might even make him receptive!

Don't argue; if he does not want to listen just drop it unless he is willing to listen to your points.

There are many books that give good ways to answer such questions. One is "True For You, But Not For Me," by Paul Copan. Another is also by Copan, "God Goes to Starbucks."

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I still have not found a better book for enquirers that Josh McDowell's "Evidence that Demands a Verdict." I think there were two volumes and then a fairly recent update called The New Evidence that Demands a Verdict.

If they're willing to read it, get it for them. If not, use it as a resource yourself. You can find it on Amazon.com. Or Google it.

One thing to remember is that you don't have to convince them of the truth. That's the job of the Holy Spirit. Your job is to explain why you are convinced, and have staked your entire future on it.

#4 Tom Butler, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  5. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

Thank you - now I won't feel like a horrible failure if he just doesn't go with what I'm telling him!

When it comes to getting him a book .. the crazy thing is .. this guy just does not READ. It's not like he can't read, he just doesn't like reading books.

I offered to give him a DVD copy of a movie I have called "The Case for Christ". It's a DVD I bought when I first started going to church. What do you guys think about giving him this film? Any opinions on here of it? I haven't watched it in a while, I just remember it focused on bringing the "evidence factor" to Jesus and the Bible.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The books by Lee Strobel are a great resouce. Remember that you would do well to be consistent and faithful. But the work of breaking through a hard heart is only the work of the Lord. There is no power in ministry without the Word and the Holy Ghost.

Romans 10:17
    1 Cor 2:2-4

7. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Those who don't believe in "organized religion."

I'd ask him exactly what he means by "organized religion." Perhaps he doesn't know what he doesn't know.

I get the same thing from my sister. "I hate organized religion." And when I say "What do you mean by organized religion" she never has a really good definition. People use "organized religion" like they use the word "society".

I often hear "society makes...." "society requires...." "Society says....".

Maybe if you'd get him to think about the hatred he's spewing out, maybe you'll find out the truth. Maybe as a kid some moronic preacher told him he would go to hell becase he had long hair. Or worse yet, maybe someone in the church abused him. God forbid!

But "organized religion" is a favorite whipping boy of many a person.

JUST WHAT IS ORGANIZED RELIGION?

Oh, and next time someone tries to make it look like Bill Maher is some kind of rationalist, you need to do some diggin on him. He thinks we are all being systematically poisoned by the pharmaceutical companies and he believes that homeopathy actually works. You know, get those antibiotics away from me! I need to strengthen my chi to fight this infection!

#7 Jkdbuck76, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009