1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Religions Freedom Win at SCOTUS!!!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Reformed1689, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The opposite side said some boys were pr"essed into the prayer.
    So what - if they dont beleive in prayer - then its not a big deal
    These are teenage boys - 16-18 years old - they play HS varsity football
    They are tough - and should deal with it.

Lets say it was a mulsim coach - would I say the same thing -YES!
    As Christian - he could still be part of the prayer - and thue it can become a
    witness - instead of a "You must only do it my way"

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  4. 5 point Gillinist

5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why it is so important to elect at least R- Senate!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think God is rubbing it in the faces of the anti Trumpers. Trump is giving us great SCOTUS rulings and President Biden* is simultaneously giving us disaster after disaster.

#6 Reynolds, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2022
  7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's called peer pressure. Moreover, an authority figure who controls your time on the field and your workout regimen has a lot of influence on a team member.

I'm not sure of your meaning here.

If you mean that if these teenaged players "don't believe in prayer," so they are not influenced, then that ignores the whole peer pressure issue.

If you mean that if these teenaged players "don't believe in prayer," so the act is a meaningless show of false piety, then you wittingly (or unwittingly) approve of making students religious hypocrites and publicly watering down the meaning and importance of prayer -- something our Baptist forebearers were completely opposed to doing. I certainly hope that is not your meaning.

I know lots of people who played HS football who are by no means tough. Moreover, some live and die by what others might think of them. Teenagers (and a staggering number of mature adults) conform to the actions of their friends and peer groups so as to not FEEL excluded or face REAL social exclusion. Everything from clothes, music, hairstyles, the people that one associates with, the car one drives, and the way girls/women relate to them creates enormous pressure on 16-18 year olds. I have always been something of a lone wolf, but I wore parachute pants and sported a mullet in the 1980s!

You might be broadminded enough, but most would not, including people here on Baptistboard. There will also be a lot of groups demanding that they version of religion (or irreligion) have the same rights.

Making a ostentatious show of prayer (on the 50-yard line) is only a witness of religious self-righteousness. A serious follower of Christ should know His explicit teaching:

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

“... [W]hen you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Matthew 6:1, 5-6

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet, drag queen story hour has no influence on kindergarteners at all…

They are old enough to make these kinds of decisions and they should be making these kinds of decisions. That way, when they get into college and some radical leftest starts telling they are a victim or racists based on their skin color they will have enough self awareness to drop the class or enroll at another college instead being brainwashed.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1