1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Religious Hate Law in England

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Robert J Hutton, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

As BB members may be aware there has been an attempt for some time by the Govt. in the UK to bring in a law making it a criminal offence to incite religious hatred. This may sound good in theory, but in practice it would make it a criminal offence for a Christian Evangelist to tell a muslim his relgion was false. There have been many protests against this proposed law and last night in answer to much prayer the govt. was defeated by one vote (after the Prime Minister) had gone home! The new law will come in but the provisions of it have been seriously weakened by amendments that uphold freedom of expression. It was on these amendments the govt. was defeated.

We, in the UK, thank God for answered prayer.

Kind regards to all.

Bob

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

All I've got to say to Blair is

"Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

And to God "Thanks". Both the amendments I wanted and that the Lords introduced were passed and Fungus the Bogeyman (Clark) has no plans to try and change that.

3. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

What are the chances of this being imposed throughout the EU bya court or commission?

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Low. If anything the law as it was drafted by the government would have been more vulnerable to a challenge under the Human Rights Act 1998/ European Convention on Human Rights (NB that has nothing to do with the EU)

5. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

"The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will." (Prov 21:1).

Surely God caused Blair to go home, and with Divine irony had this bill rejected by one vote. Praise God!! The Labour MP for our constituency was one of the back bench rebels. I wrote to him today to thank him for his vote. MPs get lots of flack, criticisms and complaints, I imagine they rarely get graititude, may I suggest if your MP voted similarly that you too write and let him/her know that you are thankful for it.

6. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member