1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reluctance to Join a Small Group

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by CarpentersApprentice, Jan 8, 2008.

1. CarpentersApprentice

Bingo!

CA

2. CarpentersApprentice

David,

Thanks for clarifying.

CA

3. CarpentersApprentice

Just to clarify. Are you saying that when we pray for others we should not need to know any of the particulars about their concern?

CA

4. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Jesus was the one that said what I quoted. I guess I would ask, "Why do we need to know the details?"

Furthermore, Jesus said "if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven."

We have come up with things like prayer chains and all kinds of terms about prayer. We think fervent prayer is a bunch of people all praying together and mumbling at the same time.

I guess my main point is that we need to consider a lot of things about praying together. Not so much how we are doing it, but why, and in regards to this topic of small groups, why we want others to know our needs.

5. CarpentersApprentice

I am aware of who said it. I just don't know that I agree with your interpretation.

Perhaps so that we might better understand how to pray for a person. ("Confess you sins to one another, and pray for one another.") For example, if a person has an unreasonable, self-centered, or immature ("Lord, help me win the lottery!") request - we probably would not ask for God to grant it.

In this verse you reference we see the need for people to talk about their prayer requests. How can one "agree on earth" with another person if they don't know what they are "touching"?

(My concern is not that a person would bear their own soul, but that something said in the supposed confidence of a small group will "somehow" make it's way into the larger community.)

CA