1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renting church facilities

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by BCF Jeff, Jul 10, 2006.

1. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

Our church was founded quite sometime ago and has had several ups and down over the years. About 10 years ago it experienced a split and has been in financial trouble ever since.

I was called as pastor two years ago. In order to both help local missions and our church we partnered with the our local association to plant a language mission using our facilities. They met a different times and helped cover utilities.

Last week I was contacted by a pastor of a Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) church. He expressed an interest in renting our facilities on Friday nights & Saturdays.

Even if I decide this is a good idea it would require a church action to make it so.

The question I have is this, "Is it a good idea to allow churches of other denoms rent baptist facilities especially one as doctrinally confused as SDA?:null:

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't think it prudent.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I would generally say that it's not prudent, but I would make exceptions, and those exceptions would be completely dependent upon circumstances.

There are churches around here that share facilities. Most of them rent existing facilities. For example, there are three churches that share the community center in a nearby village, because it's a building that's available and affordable. There's one building that is shared by two congregations because the church had a split, and both halves equally owned the building.

But, I would be especially hesitant to share facilities with a denomination that is so at odds with the other. Would they be completely separate? Are there other choices?

I think it's something that only you (plural "you") can decide through prayer.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I think it would be dependent on whether you could come to grips with a level of agreement of their theology.

Heck no to Mormons or Catholics....no offense meant.

5. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

If we as Baptists do not take baptisms of unlike faith and order then why would we allow meetings of a spiritual nature to take place of an unlike faith and order? What if some one comes to those meetings and takes what they hear as truth and then die with those lies as a part of their belief system, there is a really good chance that they will be in hell because of the meetings that took place on your off nights. On the other hand, if you cannot meet your obligations then they may take your building at a later date by simple default. I don't know that there is any good answer.

I was a member of a church that rents out its Sunday School buildings during the week for business conferences to bring in additional income when they had the occasional opportunity. Something like that may be more appealing than to let in false truth into the same place that you meet.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a non-religious event (blood drive, town hall meeting, business conferences etc.), there aren't as many issues.

For a church, if the church owns the building, I would say it's not a good idea to help churches that you do not believe to be preaching the truth.

Now, if a nondenominational church of similar theology asked to have an event there, it might be worth considering. If another Baptist church asks, there will be even fewer issues. But SDA? I think there are way too many differences to go along with that.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I would not think it to be good stewardship of what God has given you to allow someone who teaches false doctrine to use it. IMHO 2 John 9-11 would be applicable.

Mex

#7 Mexdeaf, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2006