1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rep. Patrick Kennedy Denied Communion

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Tom Butler, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

When I was in Roman Catholic RCIA classes, our class was informed that missing communion out of laziness or without prior approval from your parish priest was a mortal sin.

From an Orthodox Church perspective, it's up to me when and if I should abstain from the chalice...meaning if I haven't properly prepared myself for communion, I should abstain. I know some Orthodox Christians that take communion only on major feast days or only on Pascha. BUT, for example, if an Orthodox Christian is separated from his or her spouse or is divorced, they will not be allowed to approach the chalice for communion until the priest sees fit.

So from a RCC perspective, I'm sure if the parish priest tells a practicing Catholic to abstain from the elements (for whatever reason), their salvation isn't in jeopardy...but it seems to me from my RCIA class if you willfully abstain then it is a mortal sin, until he/she confesses...maybe I should've asked more questions, but didn't.

In XC
    -

2. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

I believe your explanation is accurate. For a person to know that they have a broken relationship with the Lord due to sin and to willfully refuse to confess that sin would be mortal sin. Also, St. Paul makes it clear that there are consequences for knowing that you have sin in your life and to take communion without re-establishing that broken relationship.

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I think they would. They can't receive communion because they are living in the mortal sin of adultry, unless their previous marriage(s) have been annulled. Under these circumstances going to confession would avail them nothing because the adultry is a continuing sin. The church would regard them as still being married to their former spouses.