1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Repeating the Lords Prayer

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    PRECISELY.
    The Greek word used here is λεγο (leg'-o) - which means:
    1) to say, to speak 1a) affirm over, maintain 1b) to teach 1c) to exhort

Also - @Van needs to look at what Jesus said right AFTER this:
    Luke 11:5-8
    And he said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,’ and he says in reply from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.’ I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence.

This is a teaching about the effectiveness of REPEATED petition to God.
    He teaches this right after He shows them WHAT to say.

2. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True, as the scripture states, we must both sing and pray with the understanding of what is sung or said:

1Co_14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.​

It is not the mere repetition that God desires, but the understanding unto practice, as you have so rightly said.

A little child who is growing may repeat words that their parents teach them, but the parent expects understanding to at some point come in, when they grow up into adult hood, for the mind is to expand and develop, for if the child grows up and never understands, but only repeats, they are a parrot, an 'ape' (one who merely mimics) and something is wrong.

Another aspect, is that there are adults who do not dwell upon the meaning of the words (as David said in the Psalms, meditating on them, mulling them over unto understanding more and more), in what they impart from God, and allow their minds to go numb, into mere repetition, and lose all meaning, and they are a broken record, that grates the ears.

3. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bingo!

4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You do not have the authority to rewrite portions of it as you do with your new "Lord's Prayer".

I read the NASB version (see below) - it is different from yours.

1 It happened that while Jesus was praying in a certain place, after He had finished, one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray just as John also taught his disciples."

2 And He said to them, "When you pray, say: 'Father, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. 3 'Give us each day our daily bread. 4 'And forgive us our sins, For we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.'"

It' s quite in line with our version and with the KJV version. The "Van" version is out of whack from that which was recorded in the Holy Scriptures.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

This thread is closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.