1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repent without Belief

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Bible says to "Examine yourself to see whether you be in the faith."

Salvation by faith alone is a basic tenet of soteriology.
    It certainly was for Luther. Romans 5:1. He proclaimed it loudly for the RCC did not believe it. It became the cornerstone of the Reformation. Salvation is by faith and faith alone.

Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith. (Habakkuk 2:4)

Here in the Old Testament Habakkuk states a basic truth: the just shall live by faith. This statement is quoted in three different NT books:
    (Rom.1:17; Gal.3:11; Heb.10:38). Not grace, but faith, are we both justified and saved.
    The object of our faith must be Christ, for he alone can save.
    Salvation is a free gift. It must be received, and it can only be received by faith.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

It's just that your understanding is lacking, but you know a few verses here and there.

It's saved by grace.

Your misunderstanding of faith, and over-confidence on what you do to save yourself is glaringly apparent again on this thread, and on the one Dr. Bob closed. :thumbsup:

Keep studying.

#82 preacher4truth, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You sound like a broken record playing, a scratched cd. Try answering the post. You are very apprehensive when it comes to Scripture. You don't quote any. I know other groups that don't quote Scripture either. There is a reason for that.

4. preacher4truth

Oh. More personal attacks and innuendos?

You're getting uptight again. I answered you, son.

You quote Scripture, but you don't know what they mean. Sounds like a group I know. :love2:

But, we all know groups who do this, that quote scripture as you. And they also believe in works based soteriology.

Having voluminous amounts of bible references doesn't force your error into truth.

Grace saved me. :thumbsup:

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

How bout some Bible, there, big guy? Lay off the personal comments and put your money where your mouth is and prove those who are posting scripture as being wrong? Just do it. Don't be afraid.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Which Grace? The little girl that lives next door? I think she's a Catholic, but she doesn't know you anyway.

7. preacher4truth

Simmer down now lil' one. I've only returned the favor to your buddy. He wants to malign me and initiate that I belong to a "group" he better have on at least some pull-up huggies, because he's going to hear it back.

Be a good honest Christian and tell him the same thing. :love2:

Put my money where my mouth is? You sound a little uptight and worldly.

I gave you sufficient evidence.

You two believe you rescued yourselves by your faith. You also erroneous believe you had your own faith within you and activated it, and "voila" that saved you. Any person who has genuine faith, received that from God. Even if you want to argue that it was inherent within yourself, ask yourself, who created you? Yourself? I mean, you believe you saved yourself, why not go a step further in the wrong direction?

Perhaps try understanding what the Bible means, and be an untypical baptist, and actually study. Do an online search for it. Try some reformed though on it. Try some deeper than your average baptist preacher study.

I bet you're one of those take a text and go on a tantrum Baptists, yes? Nothing expository, nothing seriously studied, just some spittin' and hollerin' and quotin' outta context stuff?

I believe God rescued me by grace. It's Scriptural.

By grace are you saved. It's actually in the Bible, and is foundational. The problem is you've been taught your whole life that your faith saved you.

Do show me where Paul brags or states that personally his faith saved him. Go search it out.

In 1 Timothy 1, Paul talks of his salvation as by grace, and that he received grace and faith (a gift) and this is a pattern to all, and you can't even believe unless He enables you. That's the only reason those after him could believe, because of grace.

It was by grace, as a pattern to all.

Deal with it.

8. preacher4truth

This all made you think about a little catholic girl next door?

That's shameful that you would stoop so low and mock God's Grace in such a manner. Comparing it to a catholic girl next door?

Unbelievable.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What is unbelievable is your shallow understanding of grace. It has many meanings. The basic one is simple: undeserved merit.

The Lord himself said about grace, that he allows the sun to shine upon the just and the unjust; and the rain to fall upon the just and the unjust. Perhaps that is the grace that saves you? The same grace that falls upon the unjust--God's general grace to mankind that even the unreached tribes of Africa receive? You know little about grace to simply say: "Grace saves me."
    Even the Muslim says similar things for they know that "Allah is all gracious."

10. preacher4truth

No, what is unbelievable is your irreverence for God's grace.

Actually, it's becoming more believable.

Your lack of reverence for, and rudimentary understanding of a dictionary version of grace is where it begins and ends with you.

You've just mocked His Grace yet again, and even used His Word to do so.

And if He did have Grace upon an unreached african tribe, why are you using it to belittle Him and His grace? If He showed that Grace in that sense, you'd roll your eyes as if it were trivial and meaningless. As a matter of fact, you already have.

100% irreverent.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, using Scripture, I questioned you about God's grace. And as usual you had no answer, no Scripture, and avoided the question completely. Again, I will ask you: Why are you so apprehensive toward the Scriptures? Why do you avoid using them? You have a serious problem here.

12. preacher4truth

Uh, no, son,. What you plainly did was diminished and belittled God's grace by comparing it to a school girl, and implying how trivial it would be by HIM using HIS grace to reach a tribe in Africa.

You mocked God's grace. Plain and simply mocked it.

Again? You are 100% irreverent.

But...

Isn't it interesting you have more reverence for your own faith that you used to save yourself, than you do for God's Grace?

Interesting indeed.

You have continuously mocked Gods Grace.

Unbelieveable.

#92 preacher4truth, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011
  13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Your consistent pattern of personal remarks is what provokes others to blame you.

You've given no evidence other than mouthing your unbalanced opinion.

1 Timothy 1 in no way supports your idea that grace saves. In fact, if you look at verse 16, it proves what you oppose (faith saves). Try another.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You never did answer that original post did you. In fact you haven't addressed any of the Scripture I have given you.

Therefore being justified by faith we have peace with God. That speaks of faith and faith alone.

To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. (Acts 10:43)
    --There is no remission of sins without faith.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (John 5:24)
    --You are condemned without faith in Christ, and will not see life.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

God has shown his grace to all men.

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Notice it is the same grace. There is not some general grace offered to some men, and effectual grace to others, the scriptures say the grace "that bringeth salvation" hath appeared to all men. Notice it says "appeared". It is shown to men, it is revealed, but it is not given. That is important.

Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Here is what you do not understand. Grace is shown to all men, but only those who believe have "access" into this grace. No faith, no grace.

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
    2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
    3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Jesus died for all men, that is why it is preached to all men. But it only profits those who believe. The writer here shows that a person can "come short" of a promise left them. The promise was to them and it was sincere, but they came short because of unbelief.

So, God offers grace to all men, but only those who believe have access to this grace.

16. preacher4truth

You have trouble intepreting Scripture. You looked all over and saw the word "faith" and got satisfied.

Where does Paul say his faith saved Him? Do show.

He attributes it all to Grace. I know that chaps your hide. How dare him give all the glory to God and His grace, and not be like you, and attribute it to some faith you think you had and used in yourself.

And tell me, lil one, how you are balanced, when you ascribe your own salvation to yourself (your faith)?

I noticed you didn't step up like a Christian, or a man, and blame the mod for his remarks. Holding mens persons in admiration because of advantage? Does that verse describe you? You betcha!

I'm not politicking. But you are! :thumbsup:

17. preacher4truth

Uh, no, son,. What you plainly did was diminished and belittled God's grace by comparing it to a school girl, and implying how trivial it would be by HIM using HIS grace to reach a tribe in Africa.

You mocked God's grace. Plain and simply mocked it.

Again? You are 100% irreverent.

But...

Isn't it interesting you have more reverence for your own faith that you used to save yourself, than you do for God's Grace?

Interesting indeed.

You have continuously mocked Gods Grace.

Unbelieveable.

(That you have done these things, and have no shame, tells me a lot about what goes on inside you and how you feel about God. All of this comes from your heart)

18. preacher4truth

Oh, it's the grace of God that brings salvation? Not the faith of man?

Wow.

By grace you are saved? Whoa!

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Jesus said a woman's faith saved her.

Luke 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

You are correct, we are saved by grace, but we only have access to this grace by faith. No faith, no grace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.