1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance: Do We Still Preach It?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 16, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What evidence do you have about GW Bush to make such a statement?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That’s quite a mixing of the tenses going from past to future. Christ is our salvation. We are saved by believing.

Mk. 1:14,15, “Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

Jn. 1:12,13, “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.”

Jn. 3:18,19, “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”

Jn. 5:39,40, “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.”

Jn. 6:29, “Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

Jn. 8:24, “Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

Ro. 6:8,9, “ Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.”

Ro. 10:8-10, “But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.”

1 Jn. 5:10-13, “The one who believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His Son. And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.”

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Bordering on semantics...

It is His grace that saved us through faith. We can have faith in many things, but only one work was sufficient to save us from our sin. When we have faith in that finished work, we are saved. The salvation has already been provided, we just have to believe it to have it applied to us.

Ephesians 2
    8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.