1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Repentance of sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that an incorrect and dangerous teaching that has crept into the church and has been around for a very long time.

It is a teaching that by all measures sounds great and even sounds biblical. There is one problem. No where in NT scripture the term used.

I am referring to the teaching of repentance of sin to be saved. The bible actually tells us in Acts 20:21 the repentance that is required and it does not say repentance of sin.

I believe there is several reasons why it does not say repent of your sin, and why no NT Apostle ever preached it.

First it is a works based salvation, but we are saved unto good works not by them, Eph. 2:10. If we could turn from our sin prior to salvation there would be no sanctification process.

Second when we say repent of your sin instead of what scripture says “repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ,” we leave repentance toward God out of the picture for an acceptance based on our now turning from sin.

Most people consider repentance of sin of cleaning up of our lives or at least the promise to do so. A sort of “I don’t smoke, I don’t chew, and I don’t go with girls that do” attitude.

The problem is such an understanding never points them to God. They end up with a false faith in Jesus, but not a biblical repentance/faith in God/Jesus.

Let us not be so naive to think that everyone who “turns from sin” and puts trust in Jesus is also turning to God (repentance toward God). In fact based on what I see in most so called Christians I am of the belief that most who go that route do not really turn to God as He requires.

For one they see Jesus as the one who protects them from God. They also do not have to surrender to the authority of God as their Sovereign because many have been told just ask Jesus into your life and accept Him as your personal Savior.

On the other hand it is impossible to truly turn to God (repentance toward God) and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and as a consequence not turn from sin.

Make no mistake we are not the friend of Jesus while we remain a rebel towards God.

Many people today seek for heaven (easy believism) if they can just alter their life (repent of sin) yet have no deep desire to get right with God regardless the cost. When confronted they will claim no one is perfect while they remain in rebellion against God which is proven by the fact that they still practice sinning.

Let us return to scripture and teach what it says and not what we want it to say. Acts 20:21
    Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The word repentance is not a word that means almost, or being sorry, or asking for forgiveness, or praying a prayer. It is like the command about face. It is not 50%, 75%, or 99%. It is a turning to God. It comes from the fact that we are broken over our sin and we want to get right with God regardless the cost 2Cor. 7:10. Only then are we coming to repentance toward God.

We are then told that the cost has already been paid by God’s only begotten Son who suffered on the cross, died for our sin, and rose after the third day for our justification.

We are to now take that same heart we have toward God and place it on the Lord Jesus Christ, which is faith, and we receive eternal life by His grace as we are born again.

That new life that we have been given will be seen through repentance of sin Eph.2:10 as we will now be commandment keepers and never return to the practice of sinning. 1John 2:4, 2:19.
    Let us not get the truth of God’s word out of order or leave parts of it out less we be guilty of making someone twice the son’s of hell.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that God is not asking a sinner tpo repent of all sins, as stop doing them all before getting saved, but would say that scriptures does teach that salvation has godly repentence aspect, so we must change our mind and repent on saving ourselves by good works or anything other than the Cross of Christ!

3. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how does that square with acts 20:21?

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sinners must turn away from their views on how to get right with God, and accept the way God gave by which sinners must be saved...

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is impossible to turn toward God without turning from something else. What is being turned from? Take note of the wording by Luke with regard to the Great Commission - "that repentance and remission of sins should be preached" and notice the connection between "repentance AND remission of SINS".

Gospel repentance is not a work of man but the gift of God (Acts 11:17). It is actually God turning the heart, the mind, the will and the emotions. Turning the emotions from the love of sin and love of darkness to the love of light and righteousness. Turning the will from resistance to submission. Turning the mind from unbelief to belief. As you can see it is change FROM something TO something else. Gospel conversion is simply the human experience of the new birth.

So real Gospel repentance is not a work of man but is the gift of God, it is not produced by the power of man but by the power of God and it is not completed until it turns TO the gospel truth. The Old Testament prophet said "Turn us O God and we shall be turned."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not what scripture says repentance is.

7. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The remission is the result of repentance toward God. To tell people to repent of their sin one has to ad to scripture. As to the rest you said I was not dealing with the how this happens, just the problem of a false teaching.

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

First, get the wording of the text correct. It does not merely say "remission" but "remission OF SINS" and secondarily it does not say "repentance TOWARD GOD" but merely preaching repentance.

Second, if repentance toward God is not about sin then why should God bestow remission OF SINS based simply on preaching repentance??? Jesus said "except ye repent ye shall all likewise perish" and the perishing is due to sin. Repentance toward God is because God is the offended party and what has offended him is your sins. If you are not repenting of sins you are not showing repentance toward God at all!

Repentance is unnecessary if it were not for sin. It is sin that makes repentance necessary toward God.

Finally, the scriptures uses the equivalent of repent with regard to sin: Christians are to forgive sin committed against them if a brother "turn again TO YOU" and say "I REPENT" as this is mimicking their Father in heaven who forgave them when they turned TOWARD GOD in confession of their sins.

Lu 17:4 And if he trespass against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to you, saying, I repent; you shall forgive him.

They are to turn from sin for remission of sins. Sin is metaphorical darkness.

Ac 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Ac 26:20 But showed first to them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Turning toward God includes repenting of your sins and turning from sin

"When the heaven is shut up and there is no rain because they have sinned against Thee, yet if they pray toward this place and confess Thy name, and turn from their sin when Thou dost afflict them, then hear Thou from heaven, and forgive the sin of Thy servants - 2 Chron. 6:26

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Y1,

you are saying that but scripture does not.

unsaved men cannot stop sinning

where does....scripture say this?

10. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true as only God's love through Jesus Christ who died and rose from the grave in three days, gave us the one and only way to heaven and eternal life. Heaven is not for good people. It is for redeemed and forgiven people.

11. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 20:21
    Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Repeating the text does not prove your point. The overall Biblical context demands it means repentance toward God with regard to sin while faith is toward Christ for remission of sins and eternal life.

13. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again the text does not say sin for a reason. I tis works. One can turn from sin and still not want God as master. However one cannot turn to God and still remain in sin. The later is the result of turning to God, not what turning to God is.

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I think you are confusing the "fruits of repentance" with gospel repentance. Gospel repentance is the INWARD change of intellect, emotions and will and not some outward change of life. The outward change of life is called "the fruits of repentance" and not gospel repentance. This inward change of intellect, will and emotions is effected by the power of God and is a gift of God (Acts 11:17) as none but God can WORK inside the intellect, will and emotions of man to change the intellect from unbelief to belief, and the emotions from the love of darkness to the love of light and the will from resistance to submission (Phil. 2:13).

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does NOT demand sinners to repent/confess and cease all of their sinning , as just needs them to come to Christ to get saved!

True sinners cannot top sinning

Peter contrasts godly/godly repentance of Esau and Isaac, correct?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually. a sinner cannot do te godly repenting God requires aart from the Holy Spirit, ad that again is repenting from dead works, from trying to get saved by own efforts!

#16 Yeshua1, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

But Jesus does demand they DIE to self and that is the heart committment to stop from all sinning regardless if they are ABLE or not! So true repentance is the heart INTENT to stop from all sin - DIE to sin. If that is not the heart committment TOWARD GOD then there is no true repentance at all.

We are to walk "as we received Christ" and we are to walk "in the Spirit" having crucified the flesh, and therefore we must have crucified the flesh when we received Christ or we did not receive him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible states that sinners need to repnt of teirdead works, so that will beindeed repenting from own effrts to save them selves!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That ONLY can happen by the work of the Holy Spirt, and God does not require them to be filly commited to ceasingall sins at time of conversation, as that would be a form of worksrigtiouness!

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I asked you where scripture says what you do?
    ARE you allergic to scripture?
    EXPLAIN Acts 3:19.....and vs.26...
    Then explain lk24:47 to us....if repentance is an optional thing.