1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Jul 23, 2007.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly is Biblical repentance ? How does God handle repentance ? Can the requirements we impose on fellow sinners vis-a-vis repentance really be met ?

I am posting this to tackle the issue of repentance outside of the Tammy Faye Messner post.

So, let's get going.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I will put my two cents in. I believe repentance is to turn for sin, but i believe there is more to it than just turning. I believe there has to be a "sorrow" for all those sins in your heart that caused you to turn and plead for forgiveness. IMO

What I do not believe is that: it just means to turn.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

This typo amused me.:laugh:

I agree with you in general, but I think that the sorrow should come first. I don't think that it has to come first, as you could turn from sin without feeling sorrow, if you obeyed simply out of fear or "just because you're supposed to". If you repent first, then I think you will feel sorrow later, if you are truly living your life for God, and not simply doing it because you're supposed to.

However, I think that for those who are obedient, the sorrow will come before repentance, even if it's just a split moment before.

Either way, repentance has an outward showing of behavior change, and is much more than just regretting it.

Opinion: If you just regret it without the behavior change, I think you usually just regret getting caught, and don't feel sorrow for the behavior, even if God's the only one who "caught" you.