1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just put him in the killfile and be done with it!

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No Christian can backslide Whosoever is born of God doth not commit(practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Do a search on everything I have posted and I am sure your questions will be answered. :wavey:

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You keep on repeating this mantra with nothing to back it up.
    That is why I want you to answer said post, that you have refused to answer. Once you answer that post you will see the folly of your theology, and how you are interpreting these verses wrong. Practical application must fit with theology. They cannot oppose each other. God does not give us commands that we cannot keep; promises that cannot be fulfilled; statements that are not true, etc. Yet, this is what you are putting forth.

5. beameup

beameup Member

Repentance is what you do when you come in "contact" with a Holy God.
    When your spirit is confronted with a Holy God, you either repent or harden your heart.
    Repentance is realizing your own sinfulness and the Holiness of God at which point you spiritually die
    and expressing faith in Jesus, are spiritually resurrected by the Holy Spirit of God to become a "new creation".

Of course, the Devil will then come along and enlist "doubts", but the fact remains that from God's point of view
    you have become a Son of God.

"Backsliding" does not apply to the Christian, it applies to the Jews under the Law.

#85 beameup, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not denying the Word of God, just your interpretation of it.

Maybe you ought to become a person of your word. Maybe you ought to stop saying that if DHK answers your question, you would answer his. I guess we found out one place where you are continually practicing sin.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I understand what you are saying in this post modern age with the rejection of absolutes where people hold to personal experience above the written word as yours is a common argument today to deny what is written.
    Such an approach is a whole lot like date rape. We all understand the scenario.Two people alone on a date and things get romantic. As time progress things get heated up. She has allowed him to go too far and now decides he needs to stop. He interprets the stop as full steam ahead because he has been allowed to go as far as he has. So they end up in date rape. That is what you are doing with scripture. It says;
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

I simply accept what is said.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

This is just rude and unnecessary

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You response proves you do not believe what is written.

10. mandym

mandym New Member

Again with the childish response. because he disagrees with you does not mean he believes what is written.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is nothing rude about it and it is necessary. It is no different then the answers I get from DHK.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

His contridiction proves he does not believe.

13. mandym

mandym New Member

Reasonable people will see it otherwise.

Then, if that is the case you both need to stop.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you for your concern and great wisdom.

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely right. I do not believe what YOU have written.

You gave your word to answer if your question was answered. Your question was answered. Yet you did not answer. You broke your word. You are still breaking your word. That means you are continually practicing sin.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Like I said your answer proves you do not believe what God has written.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, I never said that. Let me give you an example.
    Mat.5:48 says. Be ye perfect, even as your father in heaven is perfect.
    If you take this as literally as you do the verses in 1John 3 it is impossible to keep. We know God does not give us commands that are impossible to keep. So we must study to find out what the verse means. The fact that the Bible (in the KJV) was written 400 years ago gives us a clue that language changes. We need to find out what it means to "be perfect." Does it mean "sinless perfection"? No it doesn't. How do we know? We look these words up, the phrases as well, in the Greek and find out what they mean. To say that we take them literally as they are written in the KJV is plain foolishness, and yet that is what you are doing with the verses that you are quoting us, and then accusing of us of not believing the Bible. Since you refuse to find out what the Bible is actually teaching it is you that is not believing what the Bible is teaching, not others.

18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have looked and observe that you seem to be stuck on one point,

My question- What is your definition of practice with regard to the subject? At what point does a sin become a practice? How do you make the determination?

I should disclose I do not agree with your take on this; based on I Jn 1:8-9, Matt 6:12, and I Jn 2:1-2.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

First off the Greek has nothing to do with it as it reads like it is translated. You are incorrect to imply that the Greek means something other then what it says in the English. Again you simply cannot accept what the bible says. That is so sad. In the Matt. passage that you gave, the Lord does not say keeping the commandments makes one perfect nor was He infiring it does. Why do you add to the scriptures? He says be perfect like your heavenly Father. It is not about what we do, but about being perfect.

Jesus was speaking to a people who thought because they had been given the law, were God's chosen, and Abrahams children, that they had a direct shot into heaven. In fact some of the rabbi's taught that no Jew would ever go to hell even if he did not believe in God because God had stationed someone at the gates of hell to snatch that Jew and toss him into heaven at the last moment.

The Lord is trying to overcome their false beliefs. He has just given some really new information to them on the sermon on the mount, at least new in regards to what the Pharisees were teaching, as He was tearing down their self righteousness. Now the Lord puts the final nail in the coffin when He says;
    Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

You say he does not mean that, but scripture says he does so who should we believe? By the way He meant it. That is the only way in. We have to be as perfect as God! However the Jew at this point like you thought He was speaking about the law. He was not. What should have happened at this time is for them to cry out with “how then can we be saved?” They knew they were not perfect like the heavenly Father. If they had asked He would have told them how to be perfect like their heavenly Father. They never learned how because they did not ask. However even though you have not asked let me explain it. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. Simple huh. We are made as perfect like our heavenly Father by faith. Again Jesus meant what He said! You must be perfect like your heavenly Father to get into heaven.
    So yes the Lord did mean what He said, but like the Jew you missed the point because you apply it improperly.

Now about 1john 3:9 it also means what it says except this time in the Greek there is a little different meaning then how the English comes across. That is the reason for the brackets with the word (practice) every time I post on it. So like I said, you simply do not believe what the written word says. If you did you would stop contradicting the word of God and let it mean what it says.
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.
    So yes both passages are literal, but if we put our own interpretaion on them then they become usless and confusing. Just believe what is writtren and if you do not understand how it can be don't contradict what it says!

#99 freeatlast, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Arbo,
    thank you for the question. However asking me a question and then telling me you do not believe me about the question you asked means there is no reason for further discussion. I again point you to the feature on the board called search. Look at all my posts as I have covered this many times and then you can still not believe what I say if you so choose while knowing what I believe. God bless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.