1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Repentance

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

I love the way you present the truth Moriah!:thumbs:

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Repentance is given to everyone Christ died for, when they are born again by His Life, His Resurrected Life. 1 Pet 1:3

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Begotten us again is the New Birth, and it is the greek word anagennaō and means:

to produce again, be born again, born anew

2) metaph. to have one's mind changed so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God

Notice it says that it means " to have ones mind changed"

Now the word repent in the NT is the greek word metanoeō and means:

to change one's mind, i.e. to repent

2) to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

You see How being begotten again BY the Resurrection of Jesus Christ produces Repentance ?

That is why Peter declares that Repentance is Given or Granted to some by Christ their Saviour. Acts 5:31

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
    Acts 11:18

18When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

You see, A True Saviour from sin, He gives His People Repentance, He gives them a change of Mind, He gives them a New Life that conforms to God's Will, Like Rom 12:1-2

1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A slippery slope you have to explain, for repentance is a command. It is something you must do. Without repentance you cannot be saved. However repentance and faith go together. One who believes in Christ is, at the same time, repenting. I hope you can understand that. But repentance is necessary, nevertheless.
    You have put everything in the past tense. To repent is a command. It is an imperative. It is something you must do.

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I know repentance is commanded, so is Faith and Believing. Now do you understand what my points are in the post 142 ?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You want us to believe that repentance and faith are gifts from God. I don't believe that. One must come to God and repent and trust him as Lord and Savior. God is not going to give him the faith and repentance to do that. That is backwards. A man does not believe with God's faith--malarkey!

6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Now do you understand what my points are in the post 142 ?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

asked and answered.
    Give your testimony.

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Explain what my points are in post 142 ! You may not agree with them, but break it down that I know you understand where I am coming from with the scripture !

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I did. I am not going to go through them again and again.

10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

You didn't !

Explain what my points are in post 142 ! You may not agree with them, but break it down that I know you understand where I am coming from with the scripture !

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is not what 1Pet.1:3 says. It says nothing about God granting repentance.
    You have conveniently changed the tense.
    It is not "to have one's mind changed." Repent means to change one's mind, as you last said, so that his attitude toward God is changed.
    No, I don't. Repent is a command that man must obey.
    You have taken this verse out of context. Even Calvin knew better than that. This was the time when salvation was granted to the Gentiles. It was a historical event in time that will never be repeated again. That is what is being referred to. Listen to Calvin himself:
    He at least admits there are two possible interpretations. I agree with the former. You don't agree with either one.
    There is nothing about repentance in Romans 12:1,2. You pervert the Scriptures.
    No repentance here. It is more along the lines of sanctification.

12. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

You are starting off wrong. Please explain to me each of my points, what I am stating that scripture says. I am not asking you to agree, but that you comprehend what I am stating !

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I answered you point by point and even offered others for you.
    If you don't accept what I say it is futile isn't it?

You start with a false premise, and try and support it with a verse that says nothing about your premise whatsoever.

14. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

Not the way I asked you. I asked you to explain what I am saying in what I present. Not your defense of it !

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

:laugh::laugh:
    IOW, you want me to agree with your warped theology. Fat chance of that!

16. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

So you do not even understand what I am saying, and yet you argue against it !

You say

It does, it says that one receives a New Birth by the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the Dead. Included in that New Birth is given a Change of Mind.

The word begotten again is the greek word anagennaō which means:

to produce again, be born again, born anew

2) metaph. to have one's mind changed so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God

Now, what is repentance ? The word for repent as in Acts 17:30

30And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

30Such [former] ages of ignorance God, it is true, ignored and allowed to pass unnoticed; but now He charges all people everywhere to repent ([a]to change their minds for the better and heartily to amend their ways, with abhorrence of their past sins

It is the greek word metanoeō which means:

) to change one's mind, i.e. to repent

2) to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

Now, its plain to any reasonable person that being begotten again and repentance are the same thing, a Change of Mind !

You say that repentance is commanded, yes it is, but it is also taught in scripture that God gives it !

#1 Acts 5:31

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

The word granted is the same word as give in Acts 5:31

2 Tim 2:25

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Now what you got to say ?