1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Repentance

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, May 6, 2012.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Remember, 2 Cor. 7:10 states that a godly sorrow worketh a repentance unto salvation not to be repented of.......so, one must feel sorrow for the sins they committed before a just and holy God to fit the biblical definition of repentance.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We probably are in agreement...just wanted to clarify a couple points. Hoping the Lorshipper's haven't gotten their hands on her :D

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

HEY! Mind your own business! :laugh:

WD and I have always fussed and somehow remained friends (at least on my part). No go stick your nose in someone else's thread! :tongue3:

Does this make you feel better?-----------------> :1_grouphug:

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I think your hoping is a wittle too late....:D :)

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, as that happens in life of believer, peter example of that!

Sinner need to repent chanhe their minds on just who jesus is, and how we can be saved by him alone, not works/efforts!

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You've been listening to Hank Williams Jr. lately, haven't you?

He had a song titled "Why don't you mind your own business", ya know?

But you live in TN, so I guess that's par for the course, of course. :tongue3:

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Agreed. :thumbs:

8. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I'm not crazy about the way you've worded this, but in theory I agree with you. One must repent, to be saved. I would add, however, that we repent en masse, as it were. Christ's blood covers all our sins, even those we have not yet realized are sins. For instance, let's say you smoke and smoking is a sin. Do you have to give it up to be saved? No because you have not yet been taught/realized/been convicted that smoking is a sin. As you grow in the Lord there are things in our lives we repent from as we grow in the Lord. We can not turn away from something unless we realize it's sin. Here's an example from my own life. I used to read books and watch television shows that featured witches, wizards etc. (think Charmed, Harry Potter stuff). One day the Lord convicted me that it was sinful and that I needed to stop and never do it again. I ceased that day watching any television show/movie that featured witches, wizards, ghosts, etc., and BURNED every book (I would not even given them away) and video, music everything I had in my possession that featured witches, wizards, witchcraft, etc.

So, was I sinning...yes. Did I continue to sin? No, I repented and cleaned up this part of my life. Did I REALIZE I was sinning? Not until I was convicted of it by the Holy Spirit, so did I repent of it when I was saved? No, how could I have done? I repented of 100% of what I REALIZED was sin at the moment, I was 100% sorry for my SINFUL NATURE. As we grow and mature in the Lord we then repent of individual sins/acts as convicted. That part does not happen at the moment of salvation.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Very good post. When we are saved, we are new born babes in Christ. As we mature, we grow in knowledge, and learn to understand things more in-depth. This that you posted shows a maturity level that you didn't have at the point of your salvation. Again, a very good, and well articulated, post. Kudos. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

ha ha! You are so funny! I actually have never figured out Lordshipper salvation, so I don't think they have their hands on me yet. :laugh:

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

FTR, being in the FW camp, I do believe in LS and that faith is a gift of God....not to derail this thread though.....:tongue3:

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

FW?

You're a Lordshipper? :eek: Let the Webdog attack! grrrrr.....

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Brother Willis hit a little turbulence with that one :laugh:

I don't really think he believes you have to exchange yourself for Christ for salvation, though.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If a person has to turn from sin to be saved how is it not a works salvation?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that one does not need to repent in order to get saved by Christ?

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The bible says we have to repent. I am saying the church for the most part has corrupted what that means by adding to it making it a works salvation when you tell a person they have to turn from their sin to be saved. If that is not works salvation I don't know what is.
    Telling them to turn from sin and then turn around and tell them they are not under the law and the commandments (written law) are not for today is a joke.
    Either we are saved by grace through faith when we repent or we need to be obedient to get saved, which is it?

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Repent:
    metanoeo met-an-o-eh'-o
    from 3326 and 3539; to think differently or afterwards, i.e. reconsider (morally, feel compunction)

To repent of sin is to changes one's mind about it. To realize after gaining knowledge, that sin is wrong according to God.

Repent does not mean to stop your sin. We cannot stop the sin until we receive power through the indwelling Holy Spirit who is given at conversion. Saying that repentance is the "turning from sin" or "to stop sinning" is wrong as that is not what the word means.

So most definitely, according to scripture, we must repent. We must change our mind about sin. No one is going to seek forgiveness of sin until he repents (changes his mind) about it.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its when we realise that our own efforts/good works cannot save us, and that we need to place faith in Christ to be saved!

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't the term "we need to place faith in Christ to be saved" also indicating some element of human effort?