1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repenting of sin-Once saved always saved

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Aug 3, 2005.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did, go back and check my post.

HankD

2. NO YOU DIDN'T HERE IS WHAT YOU WROTE
    where is this from !!!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If we do not remain faithful we will be cast into the fire. You can interpret that as you will. I interpret that to mean that if we turn away from Christ we will go to Hell.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calm down RightFromWrong,

Please look again at the post from which you think I (HankD) posted this and you will see a Quote Box with the little word "quote:" and then a quotation.

I was quoting StraightAndNarrow (4th page, 2nd post) and showing him how there was an alternative to his view.

This was not my quote but his.

HankD

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I don't believe in creeds. I agree with the historic Baptist doctrines of soul liberty and priesthood of the believer. If my interpretation of the scriptures is wrong and what I've gotten from sermons and teaching is wrong then I'll be wrong.

I can and have changed minor aspects of what I believe but nothing major other than coming to believe that OSAS is a false doctrine.

5. Hank just give us the Bible verse I looked everywhere and STILL cannot find what you are talking about. This scripture is not in the Bible either I looked. Why is it so hard to give me a verse? Maybe its because it doesn't exist

StraightAndNarrow

Says he doesn't believe in his Churches doctrinal stance he has his " OWN " interpetation. Thats one of your main problems, so do all the cults and nonchristian religions. So looks like you're in the minority of what most Born Again Christians believe.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RightFromWrong you are missing my point.
    Again it's not my quote, it's something that StraightAndNarrow said.

I posted it because I disagreed with his interpretation and answered it with an alternative view.

Perhaps I should have said it in this manner:

Here is a quote from StraightAndNarrow:
    He drew this conclusion from the following verse:

John 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned.

I responded with another Scripture as an alternative to his view:

1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

In this verse (1 Corinthians 3:15) we are taught that there will be those who will lose all reward but they themselves will be saved "yet so as by fire".

When it comes to "fire" or "burning" in the Scripture concerning God's judgments and works, it does not necessarily mean the eternal fire of hell.

That is my point.

Hebrews 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Luk 3:16 ... he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

BTW, I am firmly convicted of the doctrine of the eternal security of the children of God.

I try to avoid this issue anymore since so many use it as an occassion of the flesh (as has been my own case).

HankD

7. Thanks Hank for explaining that. You have to admit without putting who wrote the qoute it did sound like it came from you especially since Straightandnarrow paraphrased it in his OWN words. Sorry

I'm sorry if I take this subject seriously. To me knowing you are saved for eternity 1 Jon. 5:13, john 3:16. et.
    and are secure in Christ is VERY FOUNDATIONAL to being a Christian.

1) How can I lose something I never earned in the first place ?

2) To say I can lose my salvation is a slapped in the Lord Jesus's face. saying what he did on the cross wasn't good enough.

3) The pride that is envolved with someone thinking they can be better than everyone else, sorry but that is what comes across when someone teaches this view.

3) God doesn't mean what he said when he promised us ETERNAL LIFE, that we ARE SEALED with the Holy Spirit. And are already POSTIONED in the heavenly realms. And that we are not saved by WORKS but by GRACE through FAITH.

Give me a break I could go on and on.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mind.

HankD

9. StraightAndNarrow

How do you think Jesus feels when we accept Him only to turn our back on Him and reject Him in the future. This is very much like betraying Him like Peter and Judas did. BTW, you haven't said anything about Jesus' description of the Judgement in Mathew. Do you accept the words of Christ?

[ August 19, 2005, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: StraightAndNarrow ]

10. StraightAndNarrow the problem with you is you like to pull out scripture verses to FIT what YOU Believe. that is called deductive ( I hope I got that right ) Bible studying. That is exactly what the CULTS do.

True studying of the Bible would be Inductive ( I hope I got that right ), pulling out truths that are already there, having a common foundational truth and pulling out truths from that foundation. Not making ones up.

I will not continue to answer your questions, the Bible says not to throw your pearls before swine. You are doing exactly what the cults do, so I would treat you the same way I treat them. By sticking to what Gods word already says and being the one to ask the questions.

[ August 19, 2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: RightFromWrong ]

11. StraightAndNarrow

Show me how what I'm doing and what you're doing is any different. It seems to me that you have a pre-conceived belief in OSAS. Believed in it since you were a kid in Sunday School I'll bet. Actually, I've changed my belief to against OSAS in the last 15 years through careful Bible study.

My pre-conceived idea was like yours, in support of OSAS. I had no ax to grind. You do have an ax to grind, your pre-conceived belief in OSAS that you've had for many years. Who's doing the inductive and who's doing the deductive reasoning?

12. StraightAndNarrow

I still haven't heard you comment on JESUS' account of the judgement. Probably because it doesn't fit with your preconceived beliefs.

13. I was saved 20 years ago at 22. I have NEVER EVER doubted my salvation even when at times I wasn't livng in the will of God. I don't need a Bible study on assurance of salvation because like believing in the TRINTY I know it is true because the Holy Spirit in me says it IS !

I din't do anything to earn my salvation I can do NOTHING to lose it !

I haven't and will not consider anymore verses you throw at me for the reasons I mentioned before. Salvation and the assurance of it is very simple. You are making it way to hard.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 18:12
    How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?

HankD

15. StraightAndNarrow

This what ALL the cults do. They don't read scripture. They simply make up their own religion.

Personal attack deleted. the poster you are replying to did not state he./she did not read scripture.

Please refrain from personal attacks.

Bro. Dallas
    (frogman-co moderator) [​IMG]

[ August 21, 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Frogman ]

16. By the way straightandnarrow I probably do more Bible reading and Bible studying than 80% of the Christians out there.

17. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

RightFromWrong wrote:

My reply to #1: It is just as easy to lose a baseball that was a gift as it is to lose a baseball that was purchased.

My reply to #2: Being a Christian is not about being better than someone else; being a Christian is about believing in Christ and obeying Him. Some Christians continue to believe in Christ and obey Him; others do not and fall away.

My reply to #3: Christians have eternal life only in Christ. Those Christians who depart from Christ cease to be Christians and cease to have eternal life. The seal of the Holy Spirit is not some kind of supper powerful glue, it is a seal of ownership—like a deed to a property—and that which is owned can be kept, sold, given away, or forfeited. Christians live down here on planet earth—they are not positionally in heaven until they are glorified. Christians are saved by grace through faith as long as long they continue in the faith. God does not chain us to Jesus when we accept Him as our Savior. The option to reject Christ remains ours.

The doctrine of eternal security is NOT a Biblical doctrine, but a doctrine of men that evolved over a period of 1500 years and that is still rejected as a false doctrine by most Christians in most Christian denominations. There are a multitude of passages in the Bible that have historically been interpreted as teaching conditional security, some of the most commonly referenced passages include the following:

Matt. 13:20. "The one on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, this is the man who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy;
    21. yet he has no firm root in himself, but is only temporary, and when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he falls away.

Mark 4:16. "In a similar way these are the ones on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy;
    17. and they have no firm root in themselves, but are only temporary; then, when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately they fall away.

Luke 8:13. "Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away.

John 15:5. "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.
    6. "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.
    7. "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
    8. "My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.
    9. "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love.
    10. "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
    11. "These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.

1 Cor. 9:27. but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

1 Cor. 10:11. Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.
    12. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall.

Col. 1:21. And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
    22. yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach--
    23. if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.

2 Thes. 2:3. Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,
    4. who opposes and exalts himself above every so- called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.
    5. Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things?
    6. And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed.
    7. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.
    8. Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming;
    9. that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders,
    10. and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.
    11. For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false,
    12. in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.

1 Tim. 4:1. But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
    2. by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
    3. men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

2 Tim 4:1. I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom:
    2. preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.
    3. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
    4. and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Heb. 3:12. Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God.

Heb. 6:4. For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
    5. and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
    6. and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.
    7. For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God;
    8. but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.

Heb. 10:26. For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
    27. but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.
    28. Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
    29. How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?
    30. For we know Him who said, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE."
    31. It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

2 Pet. 2:1. But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.
    2. Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned;
    3. and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.
    4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;
    5. and did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;
    6. and if He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction by reducing them to ashes, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly lives thereafter;
    7. and if He rescued righteous Lot, oppressed by the sensual conduct of unprincipled men
    8. (for by what he saw and heard that righteous man, while living among them, felt his righteous soul tormented day after day by their lawless deeds),
    9. then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment for the day of judgment,
    10. and especially those who indulge the flesh in its corrupt desires and despise authority. Daring, self-willed, they do not tremble when they revile angelic majesties,
    11. whereas angels who are greater in might and power do not bring a reviling judgment against them before the Lord.
    12. But these, like unreasoning animals, born as creatures of instinct to be captured and killed, reviling where they have no knowledge, will in the destruction of those creatures also be destroyed,
    13. suffering wrong as the wages of doing wrong. They count it a pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are stains and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions, as they carouse with you,
    14. having eyes full of adultery that never cease from sin, enticing unstable souls, having a heart trained in greed, accursed children;
    15. forsaking the right way, they have gone astray, having followed the way of Balaam, the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
    16. but he received a rebuke for his own transgression, for a mute donkey, speaking with a voice of a man, restrained the madness of the prophet.
    17. These are springs without water and mists driven by a storm, for whom the black darkness has been reserved.
    18. For speaking out arrogant words of vanity they entice by fleshly desires, by sensuality, those who barely escape from the ones who live in error,
    19. promising them freedom while they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by what a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved.
    20. For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.
    21. For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them.
    22. It has happened to them according to the true proverb, "A DOG RETURNS TO ITS OWN VOMIT," and, "A sow, after washing, returns to wallowing in the mire."

2 Pet. 3:14. Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless,
    15. and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you,
    16. as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
    17. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,
    18. but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Jude 1:4. For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
    5. Now I desire to remind you, though you know all things once for all, that the Lord, after saving a people out of the land of Egypt, subsequently destroyed those who did not believe.
    6. And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,
    7. just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.
    8. Yet in the same way these men, also by dreaming, defile the flesh, and reject authority, and revile angelic majesties.
    9. But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"
    10. But these men revile the things which they do not understand; and the things which they know by instinct, like unreasoning animals, by these things they are destroyed.
    11. Woe to them! For they have gone the way of Cain, and for pay they have rushed headlong into the error of Balaam, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.
    12. These are the men who are hidden reefs in your love feasts when they feast with you without fear, caring for themselves; clouds without water, carried along by winds; autumn trees without fruit, doubly dead, uprooted;
    13. wild waves of the sea, casting up their own shame like foam; wandering stars, for whom the black darkness has been reserved forever.
    14. It was also about these men that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones,
    15. to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him."
    16. These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; they speak arrogantly, flattering people for the sake of gaining an advantage.
    Keep Yourselves in the Love of God
    17. But you, beloved, ought to remember the words that were spoken beforehand by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ,
    18. that they were saying to you, "In the last time there will be mockers, following after their own ungodly lusts."
    19. These are the ones who cause divisions, worldly- minded, devoid of the Spirit.
    20. But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
    21. keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.
    (All Scriptures NASB, 1995)

[​IMG]

18. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Johnv says,

But the Bible says,

2 Peter 1:2. Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;
    3. seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
    4. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.

If believed for a second that Johnv’s theology was true—I wouldn’t bother being a Christian, for most certainly God has provided man with the means to escape from the snares of sin. And of course the Bible teaches that that means is through faith in Christ and what He did on the cross.

1 Cor. 10:13. No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

John 8:31. So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
    32. and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
    33. They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, 'You will become free'?"
    34. Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.
    35. "The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.
    36. "So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Rom. 6:1. What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?
    2. May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
    3. Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?
    4. Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
    5. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,
    6. knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;
    7. for he who has died is freed from sin.
    8. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
    9. knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.
    10. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
    11. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
    12. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
    13. and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
    14. For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
    15. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!
    16. Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
    17. But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
    18. and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
    19. I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.
    20. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
    21. Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death.
    22. But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.
    23. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

[​IMG]