1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Replacement theology redux

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ransom, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Those aren't contradictions. Paul was concerned for his brethren after the Old Covenant. That's not the argument. Paul was getting at the fact that the Jews weren't banished from salvation now that the Gentiles were getting saved. Paul himself was a contradiction to that state of mind, being a jew.

When studying scripture, one needs to keep in context who is being referred to as Israel.

Again, this opens up the problem of:

All Israel shall be saved vs. a remnant of Israel

if Israel always means "Israel after the flesh".

One of the contradictions is placed upon modernizing the scriptures. If we say that Paul is placing his statements upon the modern Israel state, how can they be the same people he spoke of when the temple no longer exists for them to follow after the old covenant? How do they push back their sins for a year? Where does their high priest go for their sacrifices?

Tim:

I agree that we can't modernize scripture to make it fit our interpretation. Like the letters Paul wrote to the churches. Do they have my churches name on them? No. Are there significant implications in his writings toward my walk and my churches walk with Christ? Definately. But first and foremost, Ephesians was written to the church at Ephesus, as well as Galatians to the churches in Galatia, and so on.

In English class, I was taught to ask 6 questions when reading a story: who? what? when? where? why? how? These questions were asked to help follow the story to make sense out of the writer's intent. It's always best to place things in proper context and try not to read more into it than what's there.

Good thread! [​IMG]

2. Tim

Tim New Member

As I've mentioned before, I believe the statement "so all Israel shall be saved, as it is written," is really not so much a prophecy of something yet to come, as it is a statement of obligation laid upon all Israel--they must be saved "as it is written"--quoting Isaiah's reference to the means of their salvation--the Deliverer of Zion.

Those who insist that it is a prophecy about the modern state of Israel have already made up their minds about God's plan for saving the Jews in the future, and thus come to the text predisposed to that interpretation rather than taking the text in its proper historical context.

In Christ,

Tim

3. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

I agree.