1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Report: Minimum wage hike would cut food stamp spending by $4.6 billion a year

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Raising the minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour would reduce federal food stamp spending by $4.6 billion a year, according to a report to be released Wednesday by the liberal-leaning Center for American Progress.

The proposal, a top legislative priority for President Obama and congressional Democrats, would reduce enrollment in the food stamp program by as much as 9.2 percent, the report said.

A report last month from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said about 15 percent of the nation’s workforce would see wages rise under Obama’s plan to raise the minimum wage, adding that the increase would lift 900,000 people out of poverty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...0e4bfa-a3db-11e3-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html

2. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there a more up to date article, that one is over two years old and the data has changed since.

On the federal level, it's not going to happen with this Congress. My old state (CA) has just hiked it up to $15/hour staggered, just wait and see the effects there. If this causes job losses, I don't see how it will reduce food stamp usage, ought to increase instead. There, it's projected to cost taxpayers more because of the higher pay to state government employees, and there's a slew of them down there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. stevewm1963

stevewm1963 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume they didn't take into account with a minimum wage hike prices will rise as well which in turn hurts those already making above that amount and seriously hurting those on a fixed income! In order for that to work there has to be a price freeze as well! I'm not against low income folks making more $ but it's not the answer!

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aren't those same people you mentioned being hurt by being taxed to subsidize the minimum wage folk through welfare benefits and food stamps?

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In order for this to actually work, the people "at the top" must be willing to take less pay. The manufacturers must freeze manufacturing costs. Distributors must freeze distribution costs. Producers must freeze production costs.

This whole thing is based on an ideal that is not supported by a sinful human nature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. stevewm1963

stevewm1963 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes of course they're being hurt! I honestly don't think there is a win for anyone here! What really hurt is folks made welfare a career when it was originally put in place to help folks get back on their feet! I'm not sure there is an answer, smarter folks than myself certainly haven't figured it out yet! I do believe what really hurt this nation is manufacturing jobs shifting to other countries like China and Mexico and then add the fact this younger generation simply does not want to work!

7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am worth $100 per hour but the Democrats only want to pay me $15 per hour. Wouldn't the real answer be just to raise taxes on everyone and use the Rico laws to put climate change deniers in prison? And honeymooners should go to Moscow or maybe Pyongyang as the most romantic destinations. Clearly California with their new $15 per hour minimum wage should now see an influx of millions of people looking for more money. Do you hear that Saint Louis, Detroit, Chicago, Gary, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Newark, Cleveland--Go to California!