1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reprobated Minds

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Xenos, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Xenos

Xenos New Member

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

What does it mean to have a reprobated mind?
    Can a reprobate be saved?

Preachers and Friends

2. 4study

4study New Member

It depends upon what you mean by the term "saved".

I think those in Romans 1:17-32 have rejected God and stand before Him "without excuse". Whether they're born again or not is unimportant. The point is, "the wrath of God is revealed against all unrighteousness". So they know enough to make a choice about accepting or rejecting Him.

In general, can someone of a "reprobate mind" be born again? Certainly. Why not?

3. Xenos

Xenos New Member

In studying the subject, this is the definition that was given on what a reprobate is:

"A vain empty mind, worthless, good for nothing devoid of all true knowledge and judgment; incapable of approving what is truly good, or of disapproving that which is evil; a mind that has lost all conscience of things, and is disapproved of by God, and all good men."

If this is true, how can a person like this ever be saved?

4. 4study

4study New Member

I suppose much of this depends upon what you believe about other things. For instance, can a born-again person shipwreck their life? Personally, I think one can and many do.

I'm unable to comment on the deffinition you provided since I don't know what the context is. There are too many variables to consider. For example, we'd have to agree on what the context is of Romans 1 before continuing.

5. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

The "reprobate mind" of Romans 1: 28 is referring to those who practiced the specific sin of idolatry. GOD "gave up" idolators (Rom. 1: 22-24). latterrain77

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG]

It seems that God has withdrawn from them and without the drawing of the Holy Spirit there is no possibility of salvation.

7. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

Hi Artimeaus. Just to be clear; there is only ONE instance of when salvation is NOT possible (Mark 3: 28-29). The sin of Idolatry is awful, but is forgivable. latterrain77

8. Daughter of the King

Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
    Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

There was a great deal in the two lines before Romans 1:28 which PARTICULARLY was pointed to Sodomites, those given over to the unnatural affection between men. In our "modern" lingo, they like to call themselves "Gay." I always understood that this reference was for sodomites and others who had given themselves completely over to a lifestyle of sin.

The Greek word here translated to "reprobate" is adokimos, meaning "castaway, rejected, not standing the test."

My understanding of this was that one who is classified as a reprobate, is then rejected from the kingdom of God, ergo, not saved. For example, homosexuals who have no interest in Jesus would be categorized as reprobates. Now there are some Christians who are homosexual. From my understanding of what the Bible says, a genuinely SAVE Christian should at least be STRUGGLING with this sin, not GIVEN OVER TO IT.

I hope this adds to the clarication and discussion of God's Perfect and Holy WORD.

God bless!

Princess

9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I agree with Latterrain77 regarding the context of the Romans 1 passage referring to idolaters. When one worships anything before or above the one Triune Holy God one commits is an idolater. Therefore, before I was saved by the Lord Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit I too was an idolater with a reprobate mind. However, God saved me, in despite of myself, by the power of the Holy Spirit and the Gospel message. See Romans 1:16. I am so thankful that someone was not ashamed of the Gospel and understood that it is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who believes! The glorious Gospel of Christ changes hearts of stone into hearts of flesh that can be molded by God to salvation and it most surely can change a reprobate mind.

10. Xenos

Xenos New Member

I think it would have been better said that there are some so-called Christians who indulge in the homosexual lifestyle. The continued habitual practice of such a lifestyle would be much evidence that there is no Christianity.

Your own definition proves that these are rejected. God gave them up and gave them over to be filled with their sin to mount up against them at judgment. This is what the whole context is teaching.

It is a sad thing that some homosexuals are seeking peace of mind by becoming involved in religious activities. Religionist are shoving this lifestyle down the throats of society to be accepted as normal. God have mercy on us.
    [​IMG]

11. NarrowWay

NarrowWay New Member

Believe me, I'm not in support of the homosexual lifestyle, But one thing has always been curious to me. Christians have always been quick to condemn homosexuals but say almost nothing against the practice of divorce (without fornication) or divorce and re-marriage. There is a great deal of simularity between these sins:

1) Both are related to sex,

2) Both are condemned in the Bible

3) Neither one is easy to change.

What do you do once you've divorced without Biblical justification and remarried? Divce the second wife? Go back to the first wife? Two wrongs don't make a right.

With Christians divorcing at a rate greater than the general population my guess is that this sin hits far too close to home for a lot of Christians. Is homosexuality any more damning than divorce? I can't find any support for that in the Bible.

12. Me2

Me2 New Member

these scriptures focus on the activities of CHILDREN OF GOD whom their father has drawn to jesus and has began to teach them about sin and faith via the holy spirit.

Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
    Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
    Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.
    Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
    Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
    Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

these are believers that the father HAS DRAWN to jesus. unfortunately they have not believed Gods truths by faith. although one can see the words of wisdom. can repeat words and concepts. can invent lists of rules to observe and follow, yet not humble themselves before a sovereign God and accept the truth without any personal strings attached.

orthodox religions wants to point to the works of the flesh and the eventual focus on homosexuality.
    but this is about observing the activities of the believers inside the churches doors and how to react.
    notice that the context of the scriptures end with not judging your brothers and sisters while they are exibiting their outward expressions of rebellion against the truths and holiness of God.

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
    Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

or:

Rom 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
    Rom 2:2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
    Rom 2:3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
    Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
    Rom 2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

why does God allow and even harden ones heart and blinds the eyes and ears of the reprobate?

to eventually bring them to repentence?
    to eventually teach them the knowledge of Good and Evil? (seeing that the two are inseperateable)
    to eventually strengthen their faith in God?

God has planned that the children of wrath are to be used to outwardly teach both his obedient and disobedient children about the knowledge of Good and evil.

throughout the history of Mankind, God has taught each individual lesson in two distinct methods.
    wisdom and understanding...
    or God spoke to you and then followed up with the second part.. the experience.
    thank goodness God, at time doesnt have us experience the evil to understand it. but expereincing first or second hand is necessary to understand the knowledge of evil.
    that is what we are learning right from our father.."the knowledge of good and evil".

and we are learning in two ways..wisdom and understanding.

[/b]Pro 1:2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
    Pro 1:3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
    Pro 1:4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
    Pro 1:5 A wise [man] will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
    Pro 1:6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
    Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.

anyhow, I dont see romans as a lead in towards homosexuality. but how someone who trades the truth of God that can only be received by faith. and also has to be confirmed by two methods....that the flesh of the believer can read a book meant to be spiritually interpreted and proceed into assembling ideas and concepts that God has prepared for the disobedients carnal mind.
    into a list of rules that the flesh believes it can follow to please their God.
    men with men..are the holding hands..nah
    their combining intelligence so that their flesh can defeat the fact that God has already told them that they cant do. please him "without faith".

or did you ever read to your wife or husband that you love them and walk away without actually proving it by giving yourself to them.

thats would be like wisdom without understanding.....

13. Xenos

Xenos New Member

I have never read in the Bible where God gave a divorced person over to a reprobate mind. Nor have I read where a remarried person is a reprobate. Although, they could be. Meaning, a lot of reprobates have been divorced.

I do agree that divorce and remarriage is sin. However, where is it in the Bible that says it is as damning as homosexuality? Never do we find as strong words condemning sin as we do for the sin of homosexuality with the exception of the sin of forsaking the attendance of church.
    :confused:

14. tnelson

tnelson New Member

The doctrine of Reprobation does not mean that God refuses to save those who earnestly seek salvation. The fact is that the reprobate have no longing for the saviour; they see in Him no beauty that they should desire Him.
    The Sovereignty of God
    A W Pink

15. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

Hi Xenos. You said; "I have never read in the Bible where God gave a divorced person over to a reprobate mind." GOD "gave up" Idolators.

Romans 1: 23 describes pagan idolatry. The next verse, Romans 1: 24 says; "Wherefore also GOD gave them up." So, CLEARLY the cause of being "given up" was IDOLATRY not homosexuality. The sexuality aspect came AFTER being "given up" NOT before. The distinction is crucial.

Again, in Rom. 1: 25 the sin of idolatry is described. Then in the next verse, Romans 1: 26 it begins by saying; "For this cause" GOD gave them up. What cause? The one just described in verse 25! Idolatry!

You said; "Nor have I read where a remarried person is a reprobate. " The definition of "reprobate mind" is self-described in Romans 1: 28-31 with a laundry list of sins: unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, haters of GOD, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful (Rom. 1: 29-31).

This list describes, in whole or in part, the behavior of all human beings, not just a singular group of human beings. There are plenty of "heterosexuals" (and homosexuals) who fit the description. Arrogance and stubbornness are a KEY quality found in each of the sins listed for "reprobate mind," and arrogance/stubbornness is plainly associated with Idolatry (not sexuality) in the Bible (1 Sam. 15: 23). latterrain77

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

A reprobate mind is one that no longer has the call and conviction of the Holy Spirit, much like those left behind who go through the years of Tribulation. However, some can and will be saved!

Xenos said:
    WELL PUT Latterain! The reprobate mind does not see sin for sin, such as some who endorse the deviant life styles. Many THINK they are saved because they have head knowledge and act out Christianity.

Diane

17. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Hi Artimeaus. Just to be clear; there is only ONE instance of when salvation is NOT possible (Mark 3: 28-29). The sin of Idolatry is awful, but is forgivable. latterrain77 </font>[/QUOTE]I agree that idolatry is forgivable. I was just saying that if God gave them (or anyone) over to a reprobate mind then He ceases to "draw" those people to himself and thus, in that state, they are impossible to save.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: