1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Republican Congressman assaults student caught on video: mainstream media goes nuts

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JohnDeereFan, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No discomfort here.

My choice of not going toe-to-toe with you on each one of your counterpoints does not imply that I cannot answer your questions. But don't worry, JD. I've use that bait myself, before.

I'm not going to do so because I have learned the hard way on Christian message boards that it is usually a man who gets uncomfortable when a woman has a differing viewpoint than him.

I don't know if this is your case, John Deere, I'm not going to label you, but it's been my experience on the internet over the last 10 years. I will say this for you, you are one of the few men who even speak to women here. There are some great guys here whom I have a lot of respect for that wouldn't speak to me or, I'm assuming, any other woman here if I were to reach through the computer screen and whack them upside their head.

When a man gets hot under the collar at me and chooses to keep a argument going.....I try to back off for that very reason. It isn't going to go anywhere. In the past, when I haven't and I just keep on "asserting" my valid opinion, it got me into serious trouble and in the past good and kind people have pm'd me and told me to back off of certain topics.

I have no inability here.

I just have no desire to beat a dead horse.

If I had said that they wanted to be assaulted, then you could make the comparison (which I still don't know why you made it in the first place, this was not a sexual assault). If I had said that they deserved to be assaulted, you could make the comparison.

What I said what I saw was someone who wanted to film an altercation. I did say that I thought they knew it would be ugly.

I don't think they had any idea that he would physically assault them. I think that surprised even them.

I DO THINK, based on my interpretation of what I saw, that they were looking to get a rise out of him and wanted to film it. Saying to a Democrat, when the President's approval rating is plummeting, "Do you approve of the 'Obama Agenda" is provocation. "Agenda". That's a provocative word. Can't you see that? Maybe they thought he would make some idiot remark or start shouting or using profanity. Public profanity seems to be the trend now in political interviews.

The Congressman was 100% in the wrong. The students did not deserve physical assault, but they were looking for a confrontation of some sort to film and put on Youtube. That's just how I saw it.

I'm ending my part of the conversation now with a repeat.

You and I are seeing this from two different vantage points. To argue further......is moot.

#21 Scarlett O., Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The Congressman says "I have a right to know who you are." Where does such a right exist? Even if the students were pulling a video ambush, it does not give him the right to assault, and steal the phone. As Harry Truman said, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Still can't find the 'like' button :)

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing like that. I just like it when people back up their claims.

And yet, you made the claims anyway.

Oh, I see. So then rape victims want to be assaulted?

...which you refuse to back up.

...which you refuse to back up.

And yet, you stated that he not only knew that it would become out of control, but that he went in with the intent of causing it to grow out of control.

How was he trying to get a rise out of him? Did the boy approach him? No. Was the boy rude to him? No. Did the boy make any aggressive move toward him? Did the boy impede his travel in any way?

How so? Wouldn't a reasonable person simply say "Yes" or "No" or "Some parts I approve of and some I disagree with"?

No, it's a perfectly acceptable word. I begin each of my staff meetings by asking "So what's on the agenda today?"

You keep on making this accusation and yet, you refuse to show any evidence of it.

OK. If you don't want to back up any of the claims you've made, then I won't press you further. It's a shame too. Would have been interesting, especially since you seem to have some sort of special insight into their motives.

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I couldn't find this news reported on CNN. Have to get this on drudge or fox or other news sources.

Good thing that didn't happen to a redneck..prob would have ended up in the hospital. I would file charges against that guy if it were me.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The problem with your posts is that you only tell half the story. While the story is true, and the guy a disgrace, you give your pseudo-conservative and moral pillar Republicans a free pass.

Did you ever start a thread about any of these fine American examples?
    1. Senator Toe Tapping Craig
    2. Senator Ensign
    3. Senator Vitter
    4. Congressman Foley
    5. Governor Spitzer
    6. Governor Sanford
    7. Congressman Cunningham
    8. Senator Ted Stevens
    9. Congressman Livingston
    10. Governor Fletcher

Need I go on. Once a Republican apologist, always a Republican apologist.

9. targus

targus New Member

So what are your feelings about his actions?

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Actually, it is not being ignored. Enough heat has come to bear over it that Etheridge felt compelled to issue an apology. CLICK HERE

However, politics aside, ambushes aside, he did not react with the reasoned and calm response that one hopes would come from a congressman or congresswoman of either party.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

An apology is not good enough. Did you notice at the start of the speech he said he had viewed the video himself, like before that he had no idea what the impact was? People of the second district of NC, vote this arrogant slob out of office this fall.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this point, checking google, the corrupt old media is almost completely silent.

Also no statements of any kind from Congressional democrats.

#32 carpro, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
  13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. What part of the story do you believe I haven't told, particularly since I never told the story, I just gave a link to a video that I believe does tell the whole story.

Stop right there. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you've got me confused with someone else, because I'm not a Republicans and have been a constant and very vocal critic of Republicans over the last ten to twelve years. So spare me the "Oh, you wouldn't say this if it was a Republican" nonsense.

No, for the simple reason that there were already existing threads about these topics. Now, if you mean did I participate in threads about these people and voice my opposition to their actions, then absolutely I did.

Except that I am not a Republican apologist, or even a Republican at all, for that matter.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you show up now with a question?

Why do you care?

Where is your sense of humor?

#34 Crabtownboy, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
  15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You took far too much literary license with your title. I was chewed up one side and down the other for a far less offense about a year and a half ago. The title of the OP was an obvious ploy to inflame.

The title of the OP says something quite different as well as the comment about the mainstream media. Be honest about it and you will get far more respect. [gently said.]

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I saw and heard his apology on Fox News and as far as I am concerned it was sufficiently humble.

However, I can't speak for the young man he throttled.

HankD

17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. There's some irony for you.

18. targus

targus New Member

Perhaps you could answer my single question before peppering my with yours.

So what are your feelings about his actions?

19. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I'm not CTB, but you ask a good question.

I feel that both or the parties were wrong, but the Congressman's behavior was much worse and bizarre!

First, these students should have identified themselves and stated who they were taping for. In the news media, the reporter first identifies who they are and who they work for.

Now, even though the students didn't do this does not give the Congressman the right to put his hands on them, let alone grab one of them, especially after taking his phone from him.

This politician appeared to be in a bad mood from the start. Maybe something else was upsetting him, but he should be professional regardless. All he had to do was smile and ask them who they were and what they wanted. Then he could say that he was presently in a hurry, but if they would contact his office he would gladly schedule time for them. He could then say thank you and walk off.

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I will not be immature like you as you almost never answer a question.

I think his actions were a disgrace.

What are you feelings about his actions?