1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Republicans Can't Handle the Truth

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JGrubbs, May 28, 2004.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, it's to no avail. You know and I know that to the Demopublicans in power the federal constitution isn't worth the paper it was written on.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You miss the point, Ken. In Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf War I, and the War on Terror, Congress signed off on the issue without matching the exact wording that Mr. Peroutka insists upon but with matching the exact intent of the Constitution.

It is no accident that the case was not taken up by the US Supreme Court during the Viet Nam war. It is a dead issue.

You are probably too young to remember how hotly this issue was debated forty years ago. But you can see that no one is using this lame horse to ride to power nowadays.

Mr. Peroutka, the lawyer, wants to make all issues legal issues and thinks that Judges will side with him. The fact of the matter is that Judges have left this in the hands of Congress--for a change. We cannot turn the clock back to horse and buggy days and abolish the internet because it is not in the Constitution. We are in a major war, and it is good that we act in modern ways. There is no violation of the spirit of the Constitution. The Gulf of Tonkin resolution became our declaration of war. Bush has a resolution to enforce the UN actions against Iraq. The issue is dead, and it will be proven to be a dead issue this November. You wait, you watch, you'll see.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. The federal constitution states that the Congress has the power "To declare war". It doesn't state that the Congress has the power to hand the decision over to the president to go to war if he so desires.

By the way I was born in 1955. I am quite aware of what went on during the Vietnam war escalation by President Johnson.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know there is a large possibility that one of the evil, as in the "lesser of two evils" as Demopublican supporters say, Demopublicans may win the presidency in November.

5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No court is going to agree with you, Ken. That was what happened when you were nine years old. The attempt was made to stop the war on those grounds--the ones that Mr. Peroutka enunciates nowadays--and the attempt failed. It also failed during the Korean War, the forgotten war. Mr. Peroutka will fail on this issue also. Put this issue on the debit side of your ledger, Ken, and write it off.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, CMG, but I will not write off obeying the federal constitution on this issue.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

What IS the truth?

To paraphrase 'The Point'....

Ever see Paris? Ever see a Pterodactyl? The thing is... You SEE what you WANT to see and you HEAR what you WANT to hear...

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The way you talk you make it sound like it is the GOP's war with Iraq. There are members of the GOP that voted against the war in Iraq, and say that it is un-constitutional. And you will see that there are other candidates from other parties running for President who would say the same thing, so this is not some weird idea of Peroutka's, it's and belief held by most Libertarians, Constitutionalists and other Paleo-Conservatives.

[ May 29, 2004, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: NetPublicist ]

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After declaring ex cathedra that Bush has been acting illegally, Mr. Peroutka then expects Republicans to rally to his side after his election.

Why should anyone help his CP enemies? Mr. Peroutka has levelled a false charge as Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf War I, and the current war show. Mr. Peroutka, a lawyer, worries about de jure issues. We have a de facto declaration of war.

This issue was used forty years ago to try to stop the Viet Nam war. It failed. Mr. Peroutka could litigate this issue on a cost plus basis until the end of time and never get a hearing.

The Constitution Party is an enemy of all other parties. That can be seen in the charges against Mr. Bush by Mr. Peroutka as well as the charges against Bush supporters on the BB by members of the CP.

[ May 30, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Gina L ]

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so. If our election system was more open, there are a lot of issues where the Constitution Party members, Libertarian Party members, and limited government Republicans could work together in common cause.

As I already mentioned, I expect the Constitution Party in Arkansas to endorse the Republican U.S. Senate candidate, Jim Holt. I know if I am able to attend the Constitution Party State convention in Arkansas I will be pushing the idea.

11. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Right. I'm primarily a libertarian. But I'm willing to put aside some differences, just to put a crimp in the demopublicans.

The party that's been in control for decades is nothing more than two wings of the same outfit.

Time for a change.

12. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The Constitution Party also supported Toomey against Specter in Pennsylvania. It wasn't untill Bush helped Specter beat Toomey in the primaries that the CP decided to run a candidate in the race in the general elections. The Constitution Party is not the enemy of other parties, they just choose to work against liberalism and neo-conservatism regardless of the party that may be pushing the leftist agenda.

13. ballfan

ballfan New Member

Never mind the Constitution Party winning the presidency they won't win so much as a seat in congress.

The canidate for president makes statements that people like to hear but that he has to know can't be accomplished even if he won.

The platform looks good but it would take a super majority in congress to ever get it passed. The Democrats would filibuster everything on it.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true. A President Peroutka plus either 34 senators or 146 congressmen can veto and then uphold a veto of any bill coming out of the Congress.

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Constitution Party is devoid of members and its thinkers seem to be white Fundamentalists only. In the case of this thread, they have gone to a Libertarian source antiwar.com to complain about the war in Iraq.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of Libertarians support the war and a lot of Democrats support the war.

Now the CP is engaged in a fantasy about how they would rule if they capture the White House and elect a small handful of Congressman. Apparently, they will rely on the Dean Democrats to help them stop the war. Then other hard-core leftists will be called into action to stop aid to Israel. And they think that they can control the GOP and the Democrats and Ron Paul to sustain a veto. How can that be when the GOP is united behind Bush on the war and other issues? Why would the GOP desert all principles to help a CP official?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have it backwards, CMG. The question is would limited government Demopublicans desert party to support their principles?

17. ballfan

ballfan New Member

Not true. A President Peroutka plus either 34 senators or 146 congressmen can veto and then uphold a veto of any bill coming out of the Congress. </font>[/QUOTE]Is the whole purpose of the CP just to veto bills?

They might want to attempt to pass some legislation some time. Without a super majority how will they be able to deal with the courts?

Its going to take more than 34 senators and 146 congressmen to accomplish anything. And they're all going to have to be Democrats or Republicans. The CP won't elect a single one of either. Then of course they're not going to come even close with the president either. What is their realistic vote total. Maybe 1% or less?

18. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Someone should have told that to Ezola Foster, the black conservative who is one of the leaders of the Constitution Party in California.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask God. It's His will that will be done. His is the only "vote" that counts. [​IMG]

I am not responsible for the outcome. My responsibility is to vote as I believe God leads me to vote.

20. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

The best I can tell, Mr. Peroutka is running a very clean and ethical campaqign. In the end I would be shocked if it weren't head and shoulders above that run by the Demopublicans and the Republicrats.