1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Requirements for guests at PCC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TaterTot, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to meet my wife. She's 4' 11".

What you say sounds right and seems to make sense, but when I go shopping with my wife to get her dresses for special occasions, it is very difficult to find anything.

Well that's not how you play classical guitar. There is no high stool (more like a regular chair with no arms) and no guitar strap. To properly hold the guitar you have a foot rest that elevates one foot about 6-8" so that your upper leg fits into the curve of the guitar and makes it secure.

That's a very different position from the one you describe.

Well, my wife does not fit that stereotype. She's not a clothes horse. She believes in having a small set of nice clothes that are appropriate for a wide range of activities.

Yes, that's why she never wears a skirt or pants when she performs.

Umm... I have been honest. She looks strange with the waists of dresses at her knees, and it's immodest when she performs. My wife dresses very modestly and she wears ladies slacks and jeans.

I wonder if participants would be allowed to bring both a KJV and the translation of their preference to the meeting, and use what where they believe it to be appropriate?

#61 Baptist Believer, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Please believe me brother Baptist Believer, I was not picking at your standard. Just noting something that seemed odd to me. I, too, am not a clothes horse as you put it.....:D......in fact I tend to shop at thrift stores in order to find most things that I can wear. Many retail stores are making it more and more difficult for people like me.

I seriously doubt that they'll be checking the Bible version at the door to any of their sessions. This is just one of those "play in my court, play by my rules while you're here" kind of a thing. I see no harm in it.

3. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Having been on Staff and have gone through their masters program. The summer is completely different than the regular school year. There will be hundreds, maybe even a thousand people on campus for the summer seminar. Some of these are taking it for credit, while others are not. During this time, the rules are rarely enforced, with the exception of the dress code. However, even that is not enforced completely. The code calls for womens skirts/dresses to be knee length. It would not be uncommon to see this violated during summer seminar. As C4K stated, the school wants everyone to leave having had a great experience. The cell phone in the car rule was in effect in the very beginning, but a number of years ago they changed that rule. They do not allow them in class, but if you turn it off, they won't care.

As to normal visitors. Almost anything goes. Women have come on campus in pants, shorts. As long as they are modest, they will not be asked to leave, especially if they are a HS student. During college days, the HS students wore just about everything.

Hope that helps, enjoy your trip

4. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

As to the version of Scripture - This would only matter if you are taking the seminar for credit. The paper that would need to be done would need to use the KJV. If you are not taking it for credit, there is no issue.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Its just for teacher CEUs - required by our school for teacher recertification. I can do what they require.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

For me, these policies both the dress and translation would call into question the teaching curriculums of the school because of the closed mindedness and legalistic type attitude. Personally, even though I read the KJV and very much prefer it if one were to tell me it is all I could read I would probably have to tell them to fly a kite. The dress/shirt issue is just plain silly old-fashioned inbred traditional nonsense IMO.

That would bother me alone.

Of course it may be seen different by others but these types of bureaucratic dictatorships always strike me negatively.

On the other hand, I know when your in some one else’s house you need to abide by their rules, but I would avoid that type of house if it were possible just as much as I would avoid a Catholic church because of their man made traditions simply because of not being of interest to me.

Err… I could have just said that.

I guess I just don’t even get this modesty thing; I find a woman in a dress to be more… sexy…(for lack of a better word) than one in pants.

I must be thinking of the wrong kind of dress or something because even the well dressed professional women in business suit/shirts and heels are not looking too immodest IMO.

Be careful what you ask for.

"Note - A BEKA is the registered trademark of Pensacola Christian College."

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Just as a short note.......the ABeka curriculum is a widely used and widely respected Christian curriculum. It has been used for many years all over the country in many Christian schools......those same schools are the ones who have gotten their kids educated consistently around 2 grades above the level of their local public school kids.

I grew up using the ABeka curriculum through most of my school years, and I don't remember the curriculum itself ever making an issue of either the version OR a standard of dress. Oh, and not all the church-schools that I attended had those standards either. In fact, it was not until this past year that I realized PCC was KJVO and "dresses only on women". And like I said, I grew up in the ABeka program.

So Benjamin, I don't see any need to fear this curriculum at all.

Also, yes, I think you must be thinking of the wrong kind of dresses.....;D

#67 bapmom, Apr 5, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

The curriculum does not enforce dresses only, but in all the pictures and illustrations in it, girls always have on dresses. Now that is speaking from what my daughters (K4 and K5) bring home. And I have never seen anything other than KJV in any of the subjects.

However, I must say that my daughter was reading in K4. She reads fairly well now in K5. She can read her own bedtime stories and can follow along in a hymnal. I do like the curriculum as compared to others I am familiar with. And man can they quote the scriptures! I am so glad they are hiding God's word in their hearts, I dont care what version it is. THey will pull from that knowledge one day when they understand things better.

My Spanish curriculum is from Bob Jones, which I guess could be a different thread, lol, and it is RVO (thats the Spanish equiv. to KJVO) And women in the pics always have on dresses. Not that it really matters, its their curriculum and they have that right to do that. Just an obser-ma-vation ;)

I think the modesty issue for pants/dresses can both hold the same arguments. Both can be modest or immodest.

#68 TaterTot, Apr 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Using one version is a curriculum does not make it that version only. It would be a mess, IMHO, to change versions all throughout a curriculum.

Would a book that only quoted out of the NIV be guilty of NIVO? Hardly.

As far as illustrations using dresses only - well, if that is their standard and practice so be it. They certainly are not trying to put anyone down by that practice.

I don't agree with a lot of what goes on at these schools - but lets cut them a break. The ABEKA phonics programme is the best in the world IMHO. I use it to teach literacy to Irish adults and teens even if the sounds are not exact, it is adaptable. I never even notice what the girls and ladies are wearing in the pics.

#69 NaasPreacher (C4K), Apr 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

and it does make sense for a curriculum that is going to be widely used to reflect the more strict standard. After all, the ladies in pants really don't have any objection to girls also wearing dresses..... That way the curriculum can minister to both crowds without being objectionable to either.

Oh, I liked the Bob Jones curriculum too when I was in school.

11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I didnt think they were putting anyone down. I had just been reading on their website and decided to see if their standards applied in their curriculum as well. There is absolutely nothing wrong with girls wearing dresses, mine love to wear them.

Do you really think that the ABEKA curriculum is not KJVO? Come on. They are consistent in every other area.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Could you point out an example of where they promote the KJVO "doctrine" in their curriculum for me please? We have taught and used it for years and must have missed that aspect of their materials.

Everyone knows the school is heavy KJVO, but I am not aware of any cases where they promote in their school curriculum. I would appreciate any help you can give in clarifying this for us.

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Have you ever seen anything in the curriculum where it was encouraged to check out other versions for a more complete understanding of an issue? I haven't.

KJVO schools (and churches/people for that matter) dont produce non-KJVO materials, do they?

At my school we are only allowed to use KJVO (which you can imagine is hard for me lol) but we do it.

#73 TaterTot, Apr 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Why would anyone do that? Why tell 13 year olds - "You really need to check out a bunch of versions of the Bible. We realise you don't know any Greek or Hebrew yet - but you really ought to check out some other versions."

Thats not up to a publishing company - its up to parents and teachers.

Using the KJV exclusively in your curriculum does not mean it promotes the doctrine of KJVO by any means.

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

But why make kids muddle through things like "he that pisseth against the wall" and "sufficient unto the deay is the evil thereof" when you can line up two versions and get a clearer picture. You dont have to be a hebrew or greek scholar to do that.

It sounds as if you are speaking from the assumption that the KJV is the plumb line unless one knows Hebrew and Greek, and that simply isnt so. (I didnt mean for this to get into a KJVO thing , lol)

The average person isnt going to learn biblical languages. But if we really want them to understand and internalize Scritpure, why only use the one that contains a good bit of antequated language?

Many VBS and SS curricula give options as to version preference. They include KJV and another one. I have never seen on any grade level, even high school Bible classes, where the Abeka program does that. I have said that I like the curriculum for the most part, but I dont think you can say that they are open to other versions.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I really am missing the point here - using one version in your materials is not the same as teaching a KJVO doctrine.

Their materials use only the KJV - no one argues that. That does not make their materials KJVO. That implies that they teach that particular doctrine, which they don't.

The school is far too extreme on this issue for me - but that doesn't mean they spread that doctrine to every part of their ministry.

17. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Why would it not spread to their ministries? Just as whats in a man's heart comes out his mouth and is made evident in his life, so it is with this issue.

I know they arent saying that non KJV folks cant use their stuff. But the makers are the curriculum are KJVO. Why should we assume that the curriculum isnt? Esp when no other version is ever consulted.

(BTW, I am so glad we can have nice friendly debate without getting ugly. Its refreshing)

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Agreed on the debate point.

I take my Christian materials on the basis of their content, not on the school, organisation, or church behind them.

There are wonderful materials from the Reformed Theologians that I use all the time. Their theology does not come through unless it is on topic. It would be unfair the declare a ABEKA history book as KJVO when the subject never comes up.

How can "Handbook for Reading" be KJVO? They don't even use entire verses in there.

I would have a problem if they presented that doctrine in their courses - they do not so that in NOT one of my many problems with PCC.

I stopped using PCC materials (back when we were teaching in a Christian school) because I found their materials tended to present a "Christian revisionist" attitude toward US history.