1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Researcher: Young evangelicals shun 'conservative' label, embrace 'justice'

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 15, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

DULUTH, Ga. (ABP) -- Younger evangelical pastors are less likely to self-identify as conservatives than older generations and more apt to view social justice as a gospel imperative, LifeWay Research director Ed Stetzer told a group of evangelical environmental activists May 14.

Citing research including yet-unreleased findings by the research arm of the Southern Baptist Convention publisher LifeWay Christian Resources, Stetzer said there is solid evidence that younger evangelicals are growing more socially conscious.

"I think ultimately that we are at a season right now where the issues of social justice are growing and a desire to integrate compassion and commission are clearly evident among younger evangelicals and evangelicals as a whole," Stetzer said during a session of the May 13-15 Flourish conference at Cross Pointe Church in Duluth, Ga.

The rest of the story is at http://www.abpnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4077&Itemid=53

2. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

I wonder if there is a correlation between this and the rise in the social gospel that is being preached from many pulpits.

3. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

What is "social gospel"?

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

As I understand it, it's emphasizing how to make society better over preaching the need for salvation through faith in Christ. Sometimes it's just preaching how to make society better minus the real gospel.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is an article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Gospel

It amazes me how many leaders today try and press Christian ethics onto the world in an effort to change America into a better place when one cannot expect non-Christians to forcibly act like Christians. It is evidenced by an effort to get the "right president" and boycott certain groups.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Actually, I think the "social gospel" traditionally has been associated with liberal Christianity.

Getting the "right" president and boycotts I would consider to be more akin to Dominionism, even though many doing this don't know what that is.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Complete utilitarian heresy