1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Residual Racism

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Oct 23, 2008.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There have been several articles lately about a significant number of voters getting in the privacy of the voting booth, then not voting for Obama based on race. This is after they said they were for him.

Do you think this is a significant number or enough to sway the election? I would hope 40 years after the civil rights movement, Americans would go into the voting booth and vote for or against a candidate because of their political views. Votes based on race either way IMO show a very deep character flaw.

#1 saturneptune, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2008
  2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that there could be voters who will do that; but more than those who say they will vote McCain, but in the secrecy of voting will vote their rejection of 'the same' type of administration? I think this might be an edge for McCain, but probably not enough to change the outcome. Somewhere in all these political threads, months ago I said the election may be decided by voters just going back to their own inclinations by party, identification, temperament, et al. This is what my swing it to McCain, and one AP poll since the last debate does indicate he's gaining here near the end.

I assume your second statement in your second paragraph came out the way you intended, but to be sure, did it?

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe there may be a lot of people, particularly democrats and independents, who say they will vote for Obama because they don't want those around them to think they are racist even though they are not.

These folks will vote against Obama, not because of race, but because they don't believe he has the experience to be president, or they don't like his positions on issues.

Nov. 4 will be an interesting day.

peace to you:praying:

4. Reformer

Reformer New Member

I have to say there will be a significant number vote for McCain simply because his opponent is black, there will also be large number vote for Obama because he is black. Probably not enough to make any difference at all. I doubt most of the people who will vote for McCain because he is white would be telling people they are going to vote for Obama so I doubt there will be a big surprise at the end.

Reformer