1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Resolution On The Name Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 9, 2009.

1. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

I would rather see a name added then "Baptist" taken away.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A "Baptist" church is non-denominational by definition, I think. So why expect her to 'act' as though she were "denominational" to begin with??

As Spock might say, "Fascinating!"

Ed

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Exactly!! That's one of the leading things that MAKES her a 'Baptist' church.

And I certainly agree as to lives being changed, as well.

Ed

4. PeterM

PeterM Member

I am reminded that being a Baptist is an identification to a system of doctrine and theology, not necessarily a denominational affiliation which I see as secondary.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

I don't know what Baptists got into the business of "Resolutions," but those things are trouble. Sometimes, they fly in the face of local church autonomy, and they tend to be when conventions, gatherings, etc. fight.

Why not just thank the host church and scrap the resolutions? They hold no binding power, anyway...

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Befrore I came to this board I thought being a Baptist stood for something. I have since learned it stands for everything and nothing. You find a list of beliefs and somebody has attatched the name Baptist to it. Back here earlier some person said there are 40 different kinds of baptists, I say there are pobably more than 500 different kinds of baptists. Sometimes being a baptist is very frustrating.:tonofbricks:

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

That's why someone described that which holds Baptist churches together in cooperative ventures (association, state convention, SBC or National Convention) as a "rope of sand."

The amazing thing is that the rope has held things together as well as it has. God must have been the real glue.

8. PeterM

PeterM Member

Anytime we can say that, it's a great thing!!!

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist