1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Respect by titles

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 7, 2011.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Depends of course on the type of catfish. I wouldn't eat a hard head (salt water) catfish but many do I suppose.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my 49 years of life, I've heard that Northerners believe some awfully crazy things about us here in the South. That one takes the cake. It's plain ridiculous.

Several years ago at my school, we had a 20-something young lady from New York who moved here with her husband. She was hired as a secretary's assistant.

When school started, the principal told us at the new year's faculty meeting that we were going to be put off by her not saying "Yes Ma'am" and "No Ma'am" and "please" and "thank you". We were told to ignore it and smile - that this was just the culture that she was brought up in. I couldn't imagine it being that bad for the principal to warn us about it and charge us not to say anything about it.

But, it WAS off-putting. It was difficult to hear a young person answer you with a "nope", "yep", "naw", "yeah", and to never say please or thank you. But I did what I was told and did not allow the shock of it to sway my opinion of her. She was a hard worker and did her job. She was just culturally unique to our neck of the woods, but we loved her and her children. I know full well that there are plenty of well-mannered people from where she came from and she was well-mannered. It just didn't show in her speech.

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

In 1981, we moved from Northwestern Maryland to Southern Virginia, and we immediately noticed the common use of "Sir and Ma'am" in the South that was not used in the North. I never realized before now that it was an offshoot of slavery in the South, but it makes sense.

In the North, I was addresses by my first name. In the South, I was addresses by Mr. and Sir by those who worked for me, which I thought was unusual, but I accepted it. Use of "Sir and Ma'am" in the North was considered unusual and possibly suggesting that the person being addressed was projecting a false or overbearing authority. Something like a frustrated Mother using her son's middle name when she is correcting him.

BTW, our grandchildren are being taught by our southern bred son in law and daughter inlaw, to use Sir and Ma'am because they think it is important.

#23 drfuss, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
  4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still would like to know on what authoritative historical primary source do you and others base this opinion on or is it just your opinion of Southern people.

"Yes Ma'am" and "No Sir" have nothing to do with slavery. I say "Yes Ma'am" and "No Sir" to the black people in the nursing homes that I sometimes visit. I said "Yes Ma'am" and "No Ma'am" to the black principal that I once worked for. I would not have been comfortable having a conversation with her saying anything else. I could NOT have said, "yeah" or "naw" to her. I couldn't even have said "yes" or "no".

I'm a white person. So explain how I'm am fostering a slave mentality when I do this.

Yes, it's a cultural thing. I have found that out. But it has nothing to do with slaves and slave mentality.

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I just telling you that is what someone I met from up there told me. Of course in the old south slavery began with it, and as the North felt slaverry was wrong they painted pictures of the South that just weren't true, some unfortunately stuck with lot's of folks.

I mean they don't like grits so what do you expect?

6. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Forgive me if I offended you. That certainly was not intended. Being from the Northern culture, I don't understand your reaction, but that is okay.

What I was addressing was my experience in the difference between the North and the South. I immediately recognized the difference when I moved to the South over 30 years ago. I had never thought of it as having anything to do with with the practice of slavery over 150 years ago; but, over the years, it could have been a factor.

IMHO, it has nothing to do with fostering a slavery mentality. The Northern and Southern cultures are different concerning this practice; one is not any better than the other, but they are different.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me clarify what I am saying.

You have now stated twice that our cultural practice of saying "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir" is rooted in slavery.

That's a strong accusation. All I'm asking is what factual evidence do you base that on. That's all. And I'm only trying to clarify that it is rooted in civility, not slavery.

#27 Scarlett O., Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  8. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I said two things as included above. I said that it makes sense that slavery could have been a factor. As I said before, I lived in the south 30 years and never made it any connection to slavery. The first I heard of any connection was on this thread. My comment that it was an offshoot of slavery was my first reaction to hearing the suggestion. Apparently I overreacted to hearing the suggestion.

Concerning the question of having factual evidence, I have no evidence that slavery was a factor over the years, the same as you having no evidence that is was not.

I am sorry, but I don't understand why you consider it an accusation. I did not intend it to be an accusation in any way. Perhaps this is due to the cultural background difference between us.

Peace

#28 drfuss, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
  9. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

The word "reverend" is a title of authority, not respect. Those who demand to be called reverend or by their last name are too full of themselves. The word means "Worthy of adoration or reverence". That term should only be applied to God. The term is the deification of a man. Instead of lofty respect, we need more brotherly love in our churches. Do you call your physical brothers & sisters by their last name or lofty title? Then why would you call a brother in Christ by his last name or haughty title?

Do you think Obama's family call him Mr President? I think not. Servants refer to their masters by high titles; not sons, brothers, & sisters.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes
    1. If they are somewhat senior to my age, (now, at my age that is not too much of an issue)
    2. I would call a professional such as a Dr, by his degree
    3. I would call a higher ranking politician by title, ie Mayor, Governor, ect
    4. I refer to my minister - as Pastor
    5. I address any adult as Mr. or Mrs./Miss in the presence of children
    6. My Dads sister is Aunt Gladys - not just Gladys!
    7. Even though I am retired from the military, I still call the commander, "Colonel (he is actually a LTC- but they liked to hear Colonel)
    I appreciate it when folks call me Sergeant, esp in the military circles.
    7. and there are probably some more

If you met the POTUS face to face, would you call him Mr. President or Barack?

When referring to your physical (esp non-Christian) siblings or relatives - do you address them as Brother John and Cousin Ann?

In the United States, Titles used shows respect.

One other thing - if you were to go to court, would you stand when the judge comes in?

#30 Salty, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ps 111:9 He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend [is] his name
    (this is the only verse that uses the word reverend)

Reverend Strong 3372
    One of the definitions is "to inspire reverence or godly fear or awe"
    I trust that when I preach I will inspire reverence and godly fear

Would you agree with me Reverend Mitchell?

Rev Bob

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Reverend is improper...!

NO MAN deserves to be called by the title "Reverend" and there is no scriptural justification for doing so. "Reverend" is by definition in Psalm 111:9 a "state" of being or title that should rightly ONLY be attributed to God Himself. Actually, the "Church of Christ" boys get this one right( much as I hate giving that false church credit for anything!). I refuse to call any man "reverend"...including my own preacher, who seems to have no problem with the "title". My objection was noted and ignored....sighhh...oh well. If somebody can prove me Biblically wrong them I'll apologize.

Bro.Greg:saint:

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm old school...more ways than one.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And no man deserves to go to Heaven - I will continue to preach Thankfulness to the Lord for his grace- as I also preach godly fear.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My kids give title and last name. I do not care what the adults want. It is not about them.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

:thumbsup: :applause: :wavey:

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I can only tell you how I raised my kids. Any adult was addressed by my kids as Mr., Mrs. or Ms. Smith. That included teachers, church officials, or any adult they met. The terms mother and father were not my preference, so they called us Mom and Dad, and still do. They called our Pastor Brother Smith.

I was probably not the most strict parent when it came to grades, but one thing I demanded, is that if they were given anything like a present, that a thank you in some form followed. That would get them in trouble a lot swifter than being late from a date or a C in math.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fully agree - and that is a whole other subject!

19. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I agree 100% with you.