1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Respected Pastor Voddie Baucham endorses Ron Paul...and explains why you should, too

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Havensdad, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I did not say from the pulpit. According to you, a Pastor has no right of free speech!

So you say "Vote against abortion," then they hear Obama go, "I don't like abortion," and they say, "I am voting for him!" and the pastor is just supposed to be quiet?

That is a ridiculous and indefensible argument. The pastor should endorse the candidate that he believes to be the most biblical, and encourage his people to study the issue.

If you had YOUR way, the American Revolution never would have happened!

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Come on WB, don't give me that argument from silence stuff. If someone says that pastors are forbidden to endorse a political candidate, they should be able to back it up with scripture, right?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are basing your argument on emotion and an unhealthy fondness for Paul. In all honesty you come across like the group of teenagers at the state fair wh rented a tent to endorse him. When you take on the title of pastor, and have a church, whether you like it or not your actions are a reflection on the church and those within it. I don't want my pastor endorsing any candidate, from the pulpit or via media, I want him to tend the flock. Its one thing to tell who you are voting for if asked, an entirely different matter to "officially" endorse a candidate and as you put in your title, "so should you". Ironic you don't want the government mettling in church affairs like marriage, but have no problem when its flipped.

4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Whoa! Destroyed? That's ridiculous.

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

If that outline includes "preach the word", and the word speaks to political issues, then...

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know, debate fallacies are inconvenient when applied to you :rolleyes:

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...which is exactly what I said...the ISSUES. :BangHead:

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Technically, Baucham was responding to a complaint on his Facebook page, that he felt he needed to answer. he did not call a press conference.

And no, of course I have no problem with the Church addressing all areas of life. The Constitution was never intended to muzzle preachers; the First amendment guarantees their rights, in fact. I have no problem with public officials "Speaking" about church matters, either, for that matter. My problem comes when people enact LAWS...not express their first amendment rights.

In order for you to show that the Bible should not be used to find a specific candidate, and that a pastor should therefore not address particular candidates, you would have to find a scripture verse to say so. The scriptures say that we, as Christians and pastors, are to use the scriptures to "reprove, rebuke, and exhort." There is no caveat here concerning not naming names, or not applying this to politics.

The Bible speaks to ALL areas of life, including politics.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

If this were a formal debate, the question might be, "Should (or, May) a Pastor endorse a political candidate?". Someone would answer in the affirmative, and the opponent would answer in the negative. So I'm assuming that someone (the opponent, for example) would have to argue from silence. Right? And why would he have to argue from silence? Because he has no argument to begin with, or else he would not be silent. Right????

And thanks for calling me a high schooler, I feel younger already!!!!

Ra, ra, ra, sis boom bah, high school, high school, that is all!

[edit: Okay, it was "teenager", not highschooler. But my reply stands the same]

#29 J.D., Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Except in the Bible, there are tons of examples, from Genesis through Revelation, of God's prophets and pastors and apostles naming names of both wicked men, and godly men.

When you find an issue (such as abortion), and you find that of the two candidates, one is FOR abortion, and the other AGAINST abortion, it would be highly unethical to simply allow your people to vote blindly... again, in the Bible, names are named.

:wavey:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh really...what government position were these wicked and godly people running for? Red Herring...

12. mandym

mandym New Member

I address the issues from the pulpit as they are addressed in scripture. I never mention or endorse the names of politicians. It is a dangerous business. If I were to support a politician from the pulpit and then we find later he is doing or has been involved in something illegal or immoral then I get tied to that. No thank you. Addressing the issues is enough. People are smart enough to know what to do with that afterwards. I do not need to manage that.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I actually like some of what Ron Paul stands for, but let me ask you something. Let's say that Ron Paul was elected, even though that will never happen, do you really believe that he could carry out the things he claims he would without having a libertarian congress? I say that because in all his time in congress he has only been able to get one of his bills passed.

The only policy he could change on his own without a vote would be bring the military home. Other then that he would be a lame duck president from day one as there is no reason to believe that either party would follow his lead on his policy ideas. He would veto what they send him and they would not send him anything he asked for.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good post, not to mention this pastor is stepping out of the confines of his church and telling the rest of us who to vote for.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If a budget can't be passed, and no money is spent, that certainly solves our budget problems! Especially when the military are home, too.

Whats great about it, Paul (and I) would like nothing more than a congress that couldn't get anything done. Paul, as head of the executive branch, could do a LOT more than just bring the military home. He, along with the Tea party members in congress and senate (some of whom have endorsed Paul), could keep the government from spending money. Thats whats great about this; what Paul brings to the table, is exactly what we need.