1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Responses to Draper's Article Comforting??

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by RandR, Jul 2, 2004.

1. RandR

RandR New Member

Many of Draper's denominational peers, a host of state convention execs, and state editors have now jumped on the bandwagon. While part of me wants to jump up and down and shout, "Someone actually listened," I'll withhold judgement. My concern is the "seat at the table" metaphor.

Here's what I see happening...
    Morris and the gang in Nashville will attempt to say, "we're listening," by finding one or two already well-connected guys (pastors of conservative about-to-be megas in the suburbs somewhere who've been manuevering for an eventual board post somewhere anyway) around the age of 40 to recommend for the EC. Then they'll feel proud of themselves for giving some folks a "seat at the table."

Ditto the seminary and mission boards.
    Then they'll all let out out a big exhale for having saved the future of the convention by offering some of their young admirers a "seat at the table."

Problem is...that won't stop the trend of which Draper has written.

Here's hoping I'll be proven wrong....

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what did Draper write? Remember for many of us the article may as well have been published in the Times of London.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    BAPTIST PRESS ARTICLE

4. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

It was an interesting perspective from Draper, at least from watching the streaming video of his presentation at the annual meeting. What does he mean by "turning out the denominational lights"? To what associational circles are younger SBC pastors defecting? The parallels between SBCers and IFBers concerned about "denominational" unity are quite ironic to me.