1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rest In The Lord

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thousand Hills, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Over the past year and a half I've been struggling with career decisions. Long story short, should I hang in there hoping things get better, while I slowly watch my income dwindle, or try to find something new in another field while I'm still young.

While hashing this over in my mind yesterday (probably for the millionth time) I thought about the verse that says "Rest In the Lord" (Psalm 37:7). I grabbed Spurgeon's "Great Verses from the Psalms" which I have been occassionally reading through, to get his commentary, as follows:

Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

Rest in the Lord. To hush the spirit, to be silent before the Lord, to wait in holy patience the time for clearing up the difficulties of Providence - this is what every gracious heart should aim at. 'Aaron held his peace'... 'I opened not my mouth, because thou didst it.' A silent tongue in many cases not only shows a wise head, but a holy heart.

And wait patiently for him. Time is nothing to him. Let it be nothing to thee. God is worth waiting for. He never is before his time. He never is too late. In a story we wait for the end to clear up the plot. We ought not to prejudge the great drama of life, but stay till the closing scene, and see to what a finish the whole arrives.

Fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. There is no good, but much evil, in worrying your heart about the present success of graceless plotters. Be not enticed into premature judgements - they dishonour God, they weary yourself. Determine, let the wicked suceed as they may, that you will treat the matter with indifference. Never allow a question to be raised as to the righteousness and goodness of the Lord. What if wicked devices succeed and your own plans are defeated? There is more of the love of God in your defeats than in the sucess of the wicked.

I've underlined the comments that particularly struck me in regard to my particular situation. I ask my brothers and sisters on BB for encouragement, share with me what it means to you to "Rest In the Lord", and particular times in life you have had to do so. Thanks. :godisgood:

#1 Thousand Hills, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
  2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The scriptures are not suggesting that difficult times will not come on us. They are saying when they do don't allow them to rule your days in fretting or worry.
    Your situation is a good one to be in. You have a job and you can most likely at the same time learn another profession while still working. Some wait too long and lose their job and then have to learn a new skill while out of work which is a double whammy.
    So rest in the Lord. He is providing, and you can learn a new trade to be used in His timing. Rest I say.
    :jesus:

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    TH....

Good thread. What i have enjoyed most about this psalm is there is given a guideline before we are told to Rest in the Lord....in verses..3,4, 5

3Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

4Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

5Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

The person who has a stable spiritual walk is already,trusting,delighting,and commiting his way unto the Lord. This psalm is loaded with the blessing of God ...I hate to only consider select portions of it....but as you work through notice how the psalmist has a complete trust,commitment ,and rest in his sovereign Lord here;
    As a mature saint he has lived long enough to have seen God's provision for His people so many times,as well as the scriptural testimony of God's promised blessings upon His covenant people. These are not general promises...but promises to those walking in obedience.vs..3,4,5,7

The very steps are ordered...the good works are ordained Eph2:10:thumbs:

4. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Thank you brother for your comments. I have definetely seen God's provision in the past. I was unemployed for almost a year before I started my current career path. He has got me through tough situations before and will deliver in this situation as well.

I have questioned whether or not I may have slowly begun trusting in my own strength/ability. I wonder if my situation is really a storm on the horizon in which I need to be proactive, or just a wake up call that I've not trusted in him like I should have, or have not been obedient in some ways to what he has asked me to do (As you point out in Verses 3, 4 and 5). Have I in some way slowly gotten away from a simple faith? Have I made other things the object of my worship instead of the Lord?