1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Resting in Christ: Hebrews 4:10

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by canadyjd, Oct 4, 2020.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...For he that has entered into His rest, he has also ceased from his own works as God did from His work....

Does this verse explain why we no longer view Saturday as the Sabbath?

The “works” that have ceased are the keeping of OT law, including Sabbath day, as a way of pleasing God.

Peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    vs. 10 speaks of our salvation rest in Christ which is eternal.

vs 9 speaks of our keeping the one day in seven rest spoken of in the ten Commandments.
    It speaks of the New Exodus in Christ, not the ot. Exodus with Moses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My undersanding of Hebrews 4:10, Christ our Savior is the believers Sabbath from dead works salvation. Romans 6:23. [Not any change of the 7th day Sabbath as given to Israel, Jewish believers. Matthew 24:20.]

4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have wondered, at times, why God needed you “rest” on the 7th day. I know He wasn’t tired. I know He set the example for the Hebrew people to rest one day a week.

I see it now as a “shadow” of the substance to come. That we “rest” in Christ from dead works of the Law that do not save anyone.

This is the only commandment, of the 10 found in Exodus 20, that have this specific transition from shadow in OT Law to substance in Jesus.

peace to you

5. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    how about the next verse?

"Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience" (and not enter!)

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    First: The “rest” found in Christ is different from the “rest” of the Sabbath, which was a shadow of the substance to come.

Second: The “disobedience” is a failure to strive to follow the truth of the substance by clinging to the shadow, which no one was able to keep.

peace to you

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When do individuals "enter His rest?" When God places them spiritually in Christ!
    On what basis does God place an individual into Christ? On the basis of crediting that person's faith as righteousness.
    Are we to cease from "good works" once we are placed in Christ? Nope, we are new creations, created for good works.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    My particular focus concerning this passage is to understand why we no longer view the Sabbath (Saturday) as our day of “rest”.

We are created for “good works” which God has prepared for us.

peace to you

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the idea is we can rest from the works of the Law, in which we all fail, for by the works of the Law, no flesh is justified, and engage is the ministry of reconciliation as ambassadors of Christ, begging others, "Be reconciled to God."

Once saved, there is no need to continue our futile efforts to save ourselves through works of the Law, so we should focus on helping to save others...

I believe that is the focus of Hebrews 4:10

#9 Van, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think what verse 10 says is that when you enter the rest that remains V 9 you will cease from your works just as God did his and V 11 says labor into entering the remaining rest.

When will we enter the rest that remains, at the redemption of the body?

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What is the, a keeping sabbath, that remains for the people of God.

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t understand your question

peace to you

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Barnes

It followed, therefore, that there was something besides that; something that pertained to all the people of God to which the name rest might still be given, and which they were exhorted still to obtain. The word “rest” in this verse - σαββατισμὸς sabbatismos- “Sabbatism,” in the margin is rendered “keeping of a Sabbath.” It is a different word from σάββατον sabbaton- “the Sabbath;” and it occurs nowhere else in the New Testament, and is not found in the Septuagint. It properly means “a keeping Sabbath” from σαββατίζω sabbatizō- “to keep Sabbath.” This word, not used in the New Testament, occurs frequently in the Septuagint; Exodus 16:30; Leviticus 23:32; Leviticus 26:35; 2 Chronicles 36:21; and in 3Esdr. 1:58; Hebrews 4:4, note), and of which that was the type and emblem.

The word in Heb 4:9 lit means a keeping of Sabbath.

There remains, a keeping of Sabbath, for the people of God

What should the people of God be keeping?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Prayers because wrong or right or what?

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding is “Sabbath” means “rest”. So it is referring to resting in Christ.

It doesn’t mean a specific day of the week in which, by Law, we are instructed not to work.

The OT Sabbath rest was a shadow of the substance found in Jesus.

peace to you

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The early church obeyed the Lord's day, on the first day of the week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear. He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. - And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. Luke 19:11-13,15

And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Matt: 19:28

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Tim 4:1

Will there be a calendar?
    If yes, I wonder what it will like?

If yes, will there be a, σαββατισμὸς, on it?
    I wonder what it will look like?

18. mailmandan

mailmandan Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 4:10 says the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. That person has entered in God’s rest through Jesus "rests from his own work" (in contrast of trying to keep the Law) as God ceased or rested from His works in the seventh day of Creation. God's ultimate, true rest did not come through Joshua or Moses, but through Jesus Christ. Joshua led Israel into the promised land, which was merely the earthly rest which was but a shadow of what was involved in the heavenly rest. The rest in Christ that God offers is spiritual and is superior to that which Joshua obtained. Israel's earthly rest was filled with conflict and attacks from their enemies and the daily cycle of work. The "sabbatismos" rest enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law, is found only in Christ and not Law keeping.

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

Sabbath rest (4520) sabbatismos - Sermon Index

• Like Like x 1
  19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sabbath Rest by Sinclair Ferguson

The anonymous author of Hebrews found different ways of describing the superiority of the Lord Jesus Christ. One of them, which forms the underlying motif of chapters 3 and 4, is that Jesus Christ gives the rest that neither Moses nor Joshua could provide. Under Moses, the people of God were disobedient and failed to enter into God’s rest (3:18). Psalm 95:11 (quoted in Hebrews 4:3) implies that Joshua could not have given the people “real rest” since “through David” God speaks about the rest he will give on another day (Heb. 4:7). This in turn implies that “There remains a sabbath rest for the people of God” (Heb. 4:9).

In speaking of this rest (3:18; 4:1, 3-6, 8) the author consistently used the same word for “rest” (katapausis). Suddenly, in speaking about the “rest” that remains for the people of God, he uses a different word (sabbatismos, used only here in the NT) meaning specifically a Sabbath rest. In the context of his teaching, this refers fundamentally to the “Sabbath rest” which is found in Christ (“Come … I will give you rest,” Matt. 11:28-30). Thus we are to “strive to enter that rest” (4:11).

20. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Your thoughts.

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. Gen 2:2,3
    although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Had the Christ, the Son of the living God, Jesus of Nazareth entered the above rest prior to his death and being raised out of the dead?

Moses did not lead them.
    Joshua did not lead them in.
    But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

I ask that because:

there doth remain, then, a sabbatic rest to the people of God, for he who did enter into his rest, he also rested from his works, as God from His own. Heb 4:9,10 YLT

V 11 May we be diligent, then, to enter into that rest, that no one in the same example of the unbelief may fall,

What is the sabbatic rest those, in Christ, should be diligent into, entering?