1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Restitution

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by C Johnson, Jun 17, 2018.

1. C Johnson

C Johnson New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll keep the question short:

Are there certain sins against people that restitution would do more harm than good? Especially if it would bring harm to you or even incriminate you?

2. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your definition of restitution exactly? It can be a very narrow term to some people, such as myself who only hears it used in relation to theft, or it can be a broader term.

Also, what do you mean by "incriminate you?" Because, as far as I know, admitting guilt is not restitution in the bible. It is simply telling the truth and coming clean on what you did wrong, as opposed to being deceitful.

I say this because we are told to confess our sins to God and one another (29 Bible verses about Confession Of Sin). These verses also show that forgiveness requires honesty in fessing up to what you did wrong, how else can you be forgiven by those you harmed? And we are told to reconcile with those we harm in a radical way (Matthew 5:23-26). Thus, an honest confession of what was done wrong, seems different in the bible than the concept of paying back those who you have harmed.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Restitution? Is that taking somebody else's nap?

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've a PM.

5. C Johnson

C Johnson New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess i mean in a broader sense. For a person who has i.e. cheated on a significant other in the past, stole a car, etc in the past, etc. Are there ways to make up for those sins (i.e. "fess up") without setting yourself up to be harmed? Reason I say that is because some people are in different places spiritually and they may not receive your apology the same way a believer would.

6. C Johnson

C Johnson New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    and no i didnt do anything illegal. just a general question

7. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems restitution is less what we are going for than reconciliation with those we harmed, given Matthew 5:23-26. That comes down to how we wisely reconcile with each person we harmed. Something to which there seems no cookie cutter answer. I would think it through, not cause further harm to others, do things that get me in hot water as long as I have sincerity to my character, and I would bounce my ideas off of people I trust.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Restitution is an O.T. legal concept, though not necessarily the worse for that. It may be better for someone to make restitution to the person he has wronged rather than going to jail.
    However, we, as Christians, have been forgiven sins that we cannot possibly repay. Read Matthew 18:21-35. We pray, "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us." And so we should.

However, if someone has blackened our name in some way, it is not unreasonable to expect him to withdraw publicly the unjust comment.

• Like Like x 1